Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Holiday entitlement 3 day week nanny

(3 Posts)
MaternityNanny31 Tue 30-Jul-13 11:21:27

Hi all,

I have previously posted as needed advice on self employed or employed. If myself and family were to go down the employed route: which I feel we may once we both speak to HRMC. Then how do we work out the holiday entitlement.

I work 3 days a week mon tue wed
I therefore would get 17 days (16.8)
Does that include the bank holidays? They would normally need me on the bank holidays and be paid extra, but how does this work?

Also am I right in thinking I get 6 weeks off, because the 17 days are the 3 days in the week I normally work (mon tue wed) and then thur fri aren't holiday days as I don't normally work those?

How does sick pay normally work for a p/t nanny.

And what about when they go on holiday? I get the option to go with them or not, if I don't go do I take that as paid holiday or unpaid leave as I turned down the offer: I may go on holiday and in this case I just get paid overtime.

Many thanks. I have always been self employed before as a maternity nurse or on flexible temp contracts. But this will now be a permanent position so want to know how to explain this to the family.

X

Cindy34 Tue 30-Jul-13 14:50:33

16.8 days. Bank holidays IF YOU DON'T WORK THEM can be taken out of that but in your case you work those, so no issues there.

Being paid extra for working on a bank holiday is fine, if that's what is in the agreement.

nannynick Tue 30-Jul-13 15:04:21

am I right in thinking I get 6 weeks off, because the 17 days are the 3 days in the week I normally work (mon tue wed)

No because 3x6 is 18 and your holiday entitlement would be 16.8, though that can be rounded up. So if holiday was rounded up to 18 days, the yes that is 6 weeks in your case.

Any holiday you take must be on a normal working day... so Thurs and Fri will always not count... unless your contract changes to include those as working days.

Nannies quite often do not get any sick days written in their contract. Statutory Sick Pay is more common I feel and it kicks in after a number of qualifying days. Complex Guide to SSP (e14) and Simplistic guide to SSP. Probably not worth reading either though unless you are planning on being sick quite a lot.

what about when they go on holiday? I get the option to go with them or not, if I don't go do I take that as paid holiday or unpaid leave as I turned down the offer

It gets more tricky. The employer can insist when their employee takes their annual leave. The employer can approve or decline annual leave requests.

So if they go on holiday and invite you to go with them and you accept, then that's normal working days (plus extra's probably). If you decline then they can insist that you take the time off (the days you would have worked, so Mon-Wed) as part of your annual leave.

If having granted you permission to take leave and you have used up all your annual leave for the year... then the family decides to go on holiday, then they still have to pay you regardless of if you go on holiday with them or not. In affect they are giving you additional paid leave.

From the employers point of view it is best for them to budget costs by assuming that they are paying for 3 days per week all year round. You could calculate an annual salary if that helped the family to budget for the cost involved.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now