Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Talk to me about becoming a childminder

(4 Posts)
Madratlady Fri 26-Jul-13 22:10:17

It's something that I've considered before but decided against because, being in my early 20s and childless myself I was worried parents wouldn't have much faith in my abilities to look after their DCs.

I'm expecting my 1st dc now and considering quitting my current job and training as a child minder after my maternity leave. Just a few questions though because I'm going to have to be sure it's the best move to quit nursing, a job that I trained for several years for and pays fairly well.

Can I child mind in a rented house?

How much does the training course cost? Can I do it around another job?

How much does the initial set up cost?

Is it easy to find customers?

How many children could I look after, I'd have one of my own obviously and I think they'd be counted in the numbers?

Is there reasonable money to be made child minding? Could I make a living doing it?

I understand that it'll be hard work and require a lot of paper work. Are there any other downsides I need to know about?

Any other advice?

I know they might sound like silly questions but I want to make sure I know everything I need to to decide whether to do it as a job! I think I'd really enjoy it but I need to know all the practical details too.

MaryPoppinsBag Mon 29-Jul-13 12:26:58

Hi your first port of call should be your local council - Early Years department.

Many councils run training for childminders. Mine did and they did an initial meeting which outlined everything involved in becoming a CM. which put a few people off wish it had put me off

MaryPoppinsBag Mon 29-Jul-13 12:40:31

With regards to how much money can be made research the rates in your local area. You will be able to have 2 EY's children in addition to your own. So if your hourly charge is £4/ child you can potentially earn £8 per hour. But you have to take your expenses off this.

You can also have before and after school children. I charge £5 before and £10 after. You could have 3 children before and after school upto age 8. And you could have as many over 8's as you can reasonably look after without impact on the care of the younger ones.

With regards to set up cost :
Ofsted is £35
But it may cost to get your Dr. To complete the health form (mine was £15 but some charge £100)
PACEY membership and insurance was about £90 (IIRC)
Contracts from PACEY cost approx £10 for 6.

You might have to make adjustments to your house e.g stair gates/ fire guards / safety glass.

It is hard to find custom and trade can be sporadic. With influxes in September.

MaryPoppinsBag Mon 29-Jul-13 12:51:31

You will also spend a fair amount on ink for your printer as you print out Policies and Procedures, admissions forms, permission forms, daily registers, parent information packs etc...

You will need a good range of toys appropriate for the age of the children in your care.
Some examples of what are good:
role play/ dress up.
Small world
Atelier
Treasure baskets
Things for open ended play e.g den making - sheets,
Lots of books.
Construction toys duplo / sticklebricks.
Arts and craft stuff.

I've used lots if my DS's toys but my eldest is nearly 8 so it's built up over the years. But gave invested is an Ikea play kitchen, a car mat, aprons.
I would like to invest in some other stuff too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now