Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Employing a nanny. What do I need to do?

(13 Posts)
Judyandherdreamofhorses Mon 22-Jul-13 02:32:42

I've got a job, starting September, and someone I'm happy with to nanny for my children.

She's been registered before but isn't at the moment. Do I pay for registration, CRB etc or does she? Or do we split the cost?

How do I go about a contract and pay, tax etc? We've agreed hourly pay. It's a part time position and the hours should be the same each week. Also, I've asked this before, but my job will be term time only. How does this work with her holidays?

Judyandherdreamofhorses Mon 22-Jul-13 07:00:48

Hmm, and fuel mileage too.

didireallysaythat Mon 22-Jul-13 07:03:15

I used nannypayee as you'll need to do payroll for her. Their brochure is helpful as it lists all the stuff you both need to do (insurances, including car and house etc).

Cindy34 Mon 22-Jul-13 08:45:34

Did you specify in the job ad, job description or at anytime during recruitment process that applicants had to be Ofsted registered?
If so, then I feel they should pay all costs of registration.
If not then I fee you should be contributing the bulk of the costs, subject to them staying a minimum length of time. They should pay their own public liability insurance.
CRB is now DBS and cost of the check is around £53, which I think is now a cost in addition to the annual Ofsted fee, which I think is £103.

Cindy34 Mon 22-Jul-13 08:51:16

Use a payroll service, so much easier and they cost from £99 a year. has a contract but the payroll companies can often also supply a contract.

Termtime holiday is tricky, think it's as a percentage of hours worked... 12.07% comes to mind. You can say that holiday has to be taken during school holidays. A payroll company may well be a good place to ask, many do more than just the payroll, they give advice on employment matters.

How will pay be done, of term time only there will be some time, August comes to mind, when there will be no pay. Sometimes people split pay over 12 months but that can create problems if someone leaves midway during the year.

I would suggest you talk to nanny payroll companies as I expect they can help you with the payroll, the contract, calculating holidays, pros/cons of splitting payment over the year.

Cindy34 Mon 22-Jul-13 08:53:22

Mileage is up to £0.45 per mile, payments over that are taxable. Given cost of running a car these days, if you can afford it, offer your nanny £0.45 per mile for Work mileage. It does NOT include mileage done by the nanny from home to work, work to home.

Judyandherdreamofhorses Mon 22-Jul-13 08:55:58

I didn't specify about Ofsted, but we will want to use childcare vouchers so assume it's necessary?

Next summer holiday won't be an issue as my job finishes in July. So it's a temporary fixed term position, which the nanny I've found is happy with.

I'll contact some payroll companies. Thanks.

Cindy34 Mon 22-Jul-13 09:01:21

Yes, assuming you are in England then to be able to use childcare vouchers you need to use approved care, so your nanny will need to be Ofsted registered.

Cindy34 Mon 22-Jul-13 09:03:06

After next July, will you still use childcare vouchers for something, or have you already been using them before now?
Contact your employers voucher scheme about minimum term you can be in the scheme, as I think it is often 12 months and you are now looking at less than that time period.

Judyandherdreamofhorses Mon 22-Jul-13 09:07:13

We could still use them with a childminder next summer I suppose. And hopefully I'll have another job by then. It's just that this job is a one year contract.

This is all complicated and scary. And I'm only going to be bringing home £50 per week after childcare costs!

Cindy34 Mon 22-Jul-13 09:19:31

Are the vouchers coming from your partners work?
If you are on a fixed term contract which is less than 12 months, I can't see how your employer could offer vouchers. I don't understand all the voucher rules mind, so check with the scheme administrator as to if you would get them or not.

Judyandherdreamofhorses Mon 22-Jul-13 09:34:00

Vouchers will be from DH's work, yes.

nannynick Mon 22-Jul-13 16:38:09

Term time holiday entitlement could be calculated using the 12.07% method. See Employing a nanny: term time only nannies

If your DH is already getting vouchers, or is about to join the scheme and you will be using a form of registered or approved childcare after the nanny leaves, then I can not see a problem.

Your nanny will need to comply with the registration criteria. As their registration has lapsed, they will need to apply again. I feel that you should be paying for as much of what is necessary as possible, given you did not say in an advert that you needed someone who was Ofsted registered. They should pay their own insurance, as in the event of a claim if you paid the insurance you would in effect be claiming against yourself I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now