Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

looking for live-in help for son with disabilities

(6 Posts)
susanzs Sun 21-Jul-13 11:13:38

Hello I wonder whether anyone can advise of finding live-in help for a complicated situation. It is for my son who is going to be 20 and has disabilities. He attends college in Brighton 3 days per week so we would need someone who would be prepared to live in with us in London but go to Brighton on Monday morning with him (in our regular taxi) and look after him in his non college hours, staying in a small hotel with interconnecting rooms and bringing him back on Wednesday afternoons after college, and helping us at home in London with him. This has worked well with our present lovely home help this year, but she is starting a course and leaving us which is devastating! I have wondered about finding someone in Brighton or hiring someone for the Brighton part of the week and someone else to live in but this seems to add complication and less continuity and not as good for my son. It would be essential to have someone experienced and totally trustworthy and reliable. Any advice on this arrangement, or ideas on how to organise things differently and how much to pay, would be very much appreciated.

hatgirl Sun 21-Jul-13 11:35:03

do you have a direct payment from social services? They usually advise on rates of pay and will often refer to direct payment support agencies who will help you find a personal assistant (he is an adult and therefore doesn't need a childminder/nanny/au-pair!) for your son.

If you are doing this privately i would strongly suggest getting in touch with social services to see what support they can offer.

drinkyourmilk Sun 21-Jul-13 12:09:23

I have held a similar position for a younger person. I found it through snap childcare. They would be able to help

charliechildnurse Mon 22-Jul-13 08:02:58

Hi Susanzs,

Please do send me a PM as this is something I could help with.


Blondeshavemorefun Tue 23-Jul-13 09:50:01

If your son needs someone in the taxi with him then you would be better off employing someone who is in London already - rather then get someone from Brighton who would have to first travel to you then travel to Brighton

Must the job be live in? Obv the mon and tue nights would be in a hotel but ate you looking for help 3 or 5 or 7 days ?

AgentProvocateur Tue 23-Jul-13 10:07:21

If you have direct payments, have a look at a website called PA pool. It matches up people who need assistance, with those who provide it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now