Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Au pair plus / nanny / mother's help - what am I offering?

(3 Posts)
ChangingWoman Sat 20-Jul-13 09:07:32

I was very lucky that my brilliant au pair who joined me when DD was 6 months, chose to stay in the UK and study here afterwards. She has always been on hand to baby sit, cover nursery pick-ups etc.. and moved back into my flat earlier this year together with another friend as a lodger.

So, now DD is about to start school and exAP has just finished her degree. She wants to stay in the UK for at least another year for various reasons and we're both very happy that she continues to live with us and covers DD's school drop offs, pick ups and baby sitting until I get back from work (at around 1930) 4 days per week.

I am trying to work out how to pay her and what to pay but it's a bit confusing and I'd welcome any thoughts.

Currently exAP pays me a discounted rate of rent for her room (covered by a student living grant from her home country which will stop this summer) and I then pay her the standard hourly babysitting rate for our city (SE but not London).

I was thinking of making the room rent-free and giving her a weekly payment again but higher than when she was an au pair. If she could register with OFSTED in some way I could pay her partly with the vouchers I currently get from my employer and use for nursery care but I don't know if this is practical as she doesn't quite fit the criteria for either nanny or childminder on their website.

ExAP has lots of childcare experience, first aid, lifesaving etc.. but no formal childcare qualifications. I don't expect her to do extra cleaning or housework beyond clearing up after herself and DD's meals while they're together. Normally we and my other lodger-friend alternate on cleaning the bathroom and similar big tasks. ExAP also has another p/t bar job which doesn't start until later in the evening or weekend.

Sorry this is a bit of a ramble but thoughts very much welcomed.

GherkinsAreAce Sat 20-Jul-13 09:12:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NomDeClavier Sat 20-Jul-13 11:49:30

Doing a common core should be fairly simple and she'll need to get nanny insurance. If you pay the common core and registration and CRB you're looking at £250 to get her registered. She needs to pay the £70 odd insurance cost. Registration as a home based child area isn't very specific.

As a live in nanny you can specify accommodation is provided as part if the contract which means she's have slightly lower pay than a live out nanny would but I agree you're likely to want to pay more than an AP arrangement. In any case as she has a second job you'll need to operate PAYE and her tax code will probably be BR unless she splits it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now