Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Can you claim tax for things bought on ebay??

(9 Posts)
Amylouise Sat 03-Jun-06 20:54:55

I have seen a pushchair on ebay that I like but will I be able to expense it if I keep the invoice?

threebob Sat 03-Jun-06 21:14:27

I claim for things bought off Trade Me (which is the NZ equivalent). I buy piano books though so smaller amount individually, but over a year probably about a pushchair.

munchkinsmummy Sat 03-Jun-06 21:32:33

I have brought toys on ebay and claimed for them, if you keep the invoice there shouldn't be a problem

FeelingOld Sat 03-Jun-06 23:04:22

If you pay by paypal you can print off a copy of what you have paid for (gives a description and cost). I have just put these through my books as you would a normal receipt.

Amylouise Sun 04-Jun-06 13:26:37

That's great.
Thankyou for your replies

Twiglett Sun 04-Jun-06 13:28:16

no .. you don't pay tax on things bought 2nd hand so you can't claim it back

but you can put it against your expenses to lower your taxable income

or is that what you meant in the first place

ThePrisoner Sun 04-Jun-06 16:20:33

I have bought things second-hand which have cost me more than £10, and I haven't had a receipt.

The Inland Revenue did a check on my accounts a few years back (no, I wasn't doing anything wrong) - there was absolutely no problem at all that I didn't have all my receipts.

It included things like toys from car boot sales, and a buggy from a friend. I told the IR that I didn't have all the receipts. My petrol expenses amounted to £100s some weeks. My accounts are very basic, but the IR were fine with everything.

ayla99 Sun 04-Jun-06 17:06:53

TP, thats reassuring to know. I've put things through my books without a receipt as well - thrift sales etc. I write out what I've bought, price paid & date but I had thought this might be an issue if IR do go over my books.

ThePrisoner Sun 04-Jun-06 17:47:05

I think that hassling a few childminders for claiming inappropriately for something is probably not at the top of their agenda - we're not exactly Big Business!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: