Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

AuPair Query - is this enough?

(7 Posts)
Bugsy2 Thu 01-Jun-06 12:52:04

I'm going to leave the AuPair in charge of my two children on Saturday evening, night & through to lunchtime on Sunday. She has been with me for 9 months now & I have no reservations about her coping or the children being unhappy.
However, it pushes her slightly over her usual weekly "helping" hours & I would like to recognise that. She usually gets £80 for up to 40 hours help per week & I was thinking of giving her an extra £20 plus a box of chocs (she is a chocoholic). Is that too mean in terms of extra cash - should I go for £30 or £40?
Uwila & other aupair experts - advice please.

Uwila Thu 01-Jun-06 13:36:48

I'm not clear as to where her normal hours end and the unusual ones pick up. In other words, which hours would normally be covered in her noral work week (for which she is paid £80)?

So, for example, if your au pair/nanny normally works until say 7:30 and your kids normally get up at 8:00. I would give her say £20 to cover the time from 7:30pm until 8:00 am. Then, I would pay whatever your previously agree babysitting hourly rate is until lunchtime (which I ssume is 12:00). So, that's £20 plus four hours of babysitting.

On the other hand if some of these hours are covered under the 40 hours a week she's already paid for, then deduct accordingly.

Uwila Thu 01-Jun-06 13:37:58

Oh, and the £20 for the overnight assumes your kids are good sleepers and au pair is not likely to be up in the night.

scienceteacher Thu 01-Jun-06 13:38:16

I pay my au pair £3 an hour if we go over her normal weekly duties.

scienceteacher Thu 01-Jun-06 13:41:58

I would personally go for the higher amounts. If you think of dividing the time into 3 segments - Saturday evening, overnight, and Sunday Morning. It would be reasonable to pay her £10 - 15 for each of those segments.

Bugsy2 Thu 01-Jun-06 13:46:44

Thank you all, this is a new one for me as I've never exceeded the 40 hours before & I've never asked her to do an overnight before. I don't have any agreement about an additional hourly rate, as its never happened before & if it hadn't been half-term this week - she would still have been within the usual 40 hours.

However, I think I will err on the side of generosity as she is a lovely aupair and given this isn't something I'm going to make a habit of, the extra cash for her is probably worth it in terms of goodwill.

scienceteacher Thu 01-Jun-06 13:51:07

Agreed, Bugsy.

Some things aren't worth skimping over. An extra tenner means more to her than it does to you.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: