Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Requesting permission from my landlord to begin childminding

(11 Posts)
mindalina Wed 05-Jun-13 14:34:46

Hello, it's all in the title really. I'm drafting a letter to my landlord to request permission to start childminding - I did the pre-registration session a few days ago and am keen to get the ball rolling so figure the first step is to get permission from our landlord! I just wondered if anyone had done this and if so, what sort of thing did you say in your letter?

I've referred to the insurance that will cover me, Ofsted and their regulations/inspections etc, the fact that I'd be considering taking on 2-3 children at most, and now I've sort of run out of ideas. I feel like I want to say something reassuring about additional wear & tear on the property but firstly I feel it's implied by just being tenants that I would make good any damage caused, and secondly, I don't want to give him the impression that I'm expecting any minded children to attempt to destroy his house! I also know the garden fence needs work to reinforce it in places which I imagine will need sorting before Ofsted come to visit, and I'm willing to undertake that work and cover any associated costs, but not sure how to phrase that.

Can anyone clarify for me as well the issue with running a business from home? on my google adventures I've seen people saying childminders are considered self-employed rather than running a business, so there's no impact on his mortgage/insurance - but that doesn't make sense to me, and I can't find clarification online.

Thanks so much for any ideas, suggestions, tips, etc smile

debduck Wed 05-Jun-13 20:38:47

Do you have to inform your landlord? There are implications to house insurance and car insurance - you can discuss this with the insurance companies. Childminders ARE self-employed, so you need to register as such when you start working. As part of your tax arrangements you deduct 10% from your annual income to cover wear and tear, perhaps this would appease your landlord, should you need to tell him. Have you joined a childminding forum? there are some really good ones and they can offer you really up to date and relevant information. In fact I think it's called childminding forum smile

Droflove Wed 05-Jun-13 20:58:55

Any tenancy agreements I've signed in the past stated that the property cannot be used/registered as the location for a business. I would think this clause is in place exactly for reasons such as childminding (from the landlords perspective).

Just be aware that your landlord would probably have the right to refuse your request but hopefully he/she won't. They may ask for more money due to much higher level of wear and tear. I personally would as a landlord, sorry, not what you want to hear. All you can do is broach the subject. I presume you have carefully gone through your tenancy agreement?

mindalina Thu 06-Jun-13 01:24:22

Hello, thanks for replying smile

Yes we were told at the information session we had to request permission from the landlord if in rented accommodation. I knew I would have to register as self-employed but didn't know there was anything about wear and tear on the home so I will look into that as something to include in my letter. I'll also have a look for a childminding forum (I can't believe that didn't occur to me!) - thanks.

Yes I'm fairly sure our tenancy agreement says something like that - I haven't actually checked it but I will do tomorrow. I am finding this quite confusing because I am reading so many different things online. I've read this statement that being self-employed as a childminder is somehow different to running a business - I can't get my head around why that would be and don't know how to go about verifying that information either. It also seems from what some people have said that sometimes this is just a standard clause in a tenancy agreement and landlords may grant permission if you ask, but that sometimes it's an insurance or mortgage issue and so their hands are tied even if they wouldn't mind in theory.

I hadn't considered that they might look to put the rent up as a result, but I can see why, so thank you for pointing it out! We've actually paid our rent in advance for the duration of our initial tenancy agreement so that would be difficult on a practical level for them which could put them off. We were given information about specialist insurance providers for childminders, and they offer house and car insurance in addition to just, 'childminding insurance', so I think that would cover any major costs caused by accidental damage - and I would hope this would mean there wouldn't be any implications for the landlords insurance, but I suppose really they have to check that if they're willing to consider the idea.

It's ok, I'm all too aware that they have every right to say no (and that they might be bound by conditions on mortgage/insurance) and can completely understand why they might - I just so, so hope they don't and want to give them as much reassurance as possible to help encourage them to say yes if they can. I shall trundle off and find the childminding forum now and see if I can find some more info there, thanks again both of you.

ChippingInWiredOnCoffee Thu 06-Jun-13 01:29:40

Good Luck!!

Unfortunately a lot of them wont be able to allow you to do it due to their mortgages, but hopefully yours isn't one of them! Fingers crossed.

Would you consider nannying instead?

mindalina Thu 06-Jun-13 02:06:31

Thank you!!

I would if I didn't have two of my own - a shame really that I didn't realise I found children quite interesting until I had some as I think if I didn't have children of my own I would quite enjoy being a nanny. I know some nannies have their own child(ren) in tow but I think I would be too worried about the impact of my kids on someone else's house while I was trying to look after their children as well!

mrsthomsontobe Thu 06-Jun-13 08:00:22

I've always rented and my tenancy has always had the clause about no business being allowed to be run from the house but I have always been allowed to childmind. I think its more aimed at big proper businesses as really childmindng only has the same impact on house as any household with several children.

teenagersmother Thu 06-Jun-13 08:01:49

fingers crossed for you that your landlord will be able to give you permission.
I know my buy to let mortgage won't allow childminding from the property as I specifically asked at the time of buying. Not an issue for me but I was curious as have seen this question asked before.

surfandturf Thu 06-Jun-13 21:10:39

I had to request permission from my landlord too. I did it via the rental agency and offered to pay a higher deposit to cover any 'wear and tear'. The landlord was fine about it and when the agent comes to do a property check every 6 months they always comment that the house is one of the tidiest they ever see! Hopefully that means I will get my full deposit back as and when our tenancy agreement ends!!!

send2archan Tue 12-Jul-16 15:19:20

I wanted to ask a similar question but on different lines. I live in a flat and hence I need to pay a management fee to the management Co and ground rent to the landlord. Do I need their permission to run my child-minding business?

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 12-Jul-16 17:50:57

This thread is 3yrs old

Maybe start a new one for more advice smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now