Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

has anyone got any sugar free recipes please!!!!!!!

(14 Posts)
kidsrus Fri 26-May-06 22:05:04

I've recently registered on the stop the rot campaign with the support of cm parents but i can't find any recipes the cmc can use.
We enjoy making, eating and taking cakes home on a regular basis and cutting out sugar has caused our cake making days to end at the moment.
The children especially like to ice and decorate the cakes.
Has anyone got any ideas what we can do to replace this activity.

MerlinsBeard Fri 26-May-06 22:38:40

u should try asking in the recipes section

squarer Fri 26-May-06 22:43:33

heres a site
There's loads of them on the net. Just type in diabetic recipes or sugar free recipes.
As for the decorating? No idea!

MrsBadgerTheCelloPedaller Fri 26-May-06 22:46:21

is stop the rot 'no sugar ever' or 'sugar within sensible limits'?

If the latter, make cakes to eat as dessert after meals (ie not as 'nothing' snacks) and brush teeth afterwards.

If the former, try getting creative with savoury foods - make pizzas, cheese straws, bread, plain scones etc
Try kitchen crafty activities - make your own playdough, salt dough, decorate it with glitter etc

squarer Fri 26-May-06 22:47:35

Meant to say some of these recipes use artificial sweetners, but if you trawl through them you find some that don't use that.

And then some with frosting so that is your icing idea!

I do recall some advice on here thought that pointed out that the sugars in fruit are just as bad for teeth.

FillyjonktheSnibbet Fri 26-May-06 22:50:19

decorating-use mascarpone or ricotta in place of icingm stick froot etc in it. makes that frosting americans (and me) like.

well done you there on the no sugar thing!

FillyjonktheSnibbet Fri 26-May-06 22:51:36

i think fruit sugars are not good. but in the form of whole fruits I think they are ok, because you have to chew to get at them and chewing "brushe" the teeth (my dentiist explained this and she is god).

squarer Fri 26-May-06 22:55:36

That makes sense Fillyjonk.
I made some sugar free banana muffins the other day with wholemeal flour. Gawd they were vile. Good with custard though......

spidermama Fri 26-May-06 23:07:08

For my diabetic ds I make cakes and biscuits with about half or two thirds of the sugar in the recipe, then add currants or chopped dried apricots or something for a sweetness boost.

kidsrus Fri 26-May-06 23:08:30

thanks theres some good ideas i've made three promises 1 sack the sugar 2 beat the sweets and 3 eat drink and brush. Ive just noticed under the later it suggests eating some cheese or drinking milk after a sugary pudding will help neutralise the acid then supervise teeth brushing within 30 mins.
So on that note i don't have to stop cake making if they only eat them after a meal.
My next problem is how do you stop children wanting to taste their wares as soon as they're cold enough ( i can't wait until there cool to touch

FillyjonktheSnibbet Fri 26-May-06 23:13:03

kidsrus, just so you know, a commitment to avoiding any sugar would be a real selling point for me in a childminder. It sends my ds completely loopy, regardless of how much cheese he has! Just a thought...

But then I am known the length and breadth of the land as a food fascist....

kidsrus Fri 26-May-06 23:48:47

good on you fjts thanks for that perhaps i will keep to that or even discuss with the parents to what degree of sugar control they would like and keep all children to the same standard.
In the mean time i have downloaded some of those recipes and will try them out.
I would like to try and cut out the sugar as i heard of a 6yr child today in my town who has to have 6 teeth removed as they are rotten poor thing and they say their older siblings are rotten too but haven't had the need to attend a dentist yet!
I wish all parents would allow their child their right to dental treatment insted of being so cruel in not taking them.
perhaps they are worried what people might say but who cares the child should always come first don't you agree.

FillyjonktheSnibbet Fri 26-May-06 23:51:22

is there a problem with gettig dental tratment round where you are? round here we're lucky, plenty of nhs dentists.

if not, . and i don't think they should get a taste for sugar tbh. but i'm mean.

kidsrus Sat 27-May-06 00:03:56

no no problem with dentists here just parents !

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: