Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Interview today! Help!!

(9 Posts)
SaveWaterDrinkMalibu Sat 01-Jun-13 09:14:16

Got an interview for a nanny job - hurray!!

Nervous!

I think I've got everything though
- nanny profile with certificates, cv, first aid, crb, references
- recipes & weaning information as this was stressed by agency
- copies of cv & references for the family to keep.

What have I forgotten

NomDeClavier Sat 01-Jun-13 09:19:53

List of questions to ask them.
ID to prove you are who you say you and that you have the right to work
Ideas for age-appropriate activities

NomDeClavier Sat 01-Jun-13 09:21:13

Pressed post too soon!

Rescue remedy! Works wonders for nerves.

Have you checked where the house is and worked out your route?

Good luck!

SaveWaterDrinkMalibu Sat 01-Jun-13 09:22:52

Thank u!!

Have done a trial run to the house - all sorted for that.

nannynick Sat 01-Jun-13 09:32:07

Just be yourself. Much easier being the way you are than trying to put on a show.

Consider what the parents are looking for, someone they can talk to and someone who will care for their child/children as they would themselves.

Good luck

Lala29 Sat 01-Jun-13 10:13:44

Are you Meeting the children as well! If so, make sure you've got child-appropriate clothing - ready to crawl on the floor, lean down, etc, so not a loose too and jeans/ trousers. I'm not a nanny, but I would be put off if someone came round who wasn't dressed casually and appropriately enough to play with the children. Good luck!

sweetsummerlove Sat 01-Jun-13 10:35:50

I always research classes groups amd activities local, write them all down inc prices, times and contact details. take a list of questions, try and navigate the interview yourself, if you just allow them to shoot questions your nerves might get the better of you/ be on the spot a bit.

always take an age appropriate activity, engage with the child and always get on the floor to play. good luck!

Cathyrina Sun 02-Jun-13 19:22:43

I always additionally bring a list of questions, recipes, age appropriate activities I've done with previous charges and/ or new activities and arts & crafts examples I would like to introduce (asking what they like and what classes they go to and if they want you to continue doing so etc.), list of local activities/ groups/ classes/ zoo/ soft play areas etc. and maybe an example list of things you would do during an entire day (sunny/warm and another one for rainy/cold days). Good luck, always be yourself, go down and play with the kids and ask as much as possible. smile You could also bring some stuff you did with your previous charges/ what they gave you i.e. if they drew you a picture or similar ... this is also very good in case you don't know what to talk about anymore (I sometimes have that if I get too stressed out) - just show them some stuff like 'oooh this one is from X we had a great time painting and drawing shapes etc. and she was very good in naming them etc.'

oscarwilde Sun 02-Jun-13 19:56:20

All the above sounds good. Say please and thank you if offered a cup of tea. A friend recently discounted several nannies at interview on the basis that a total absence of basic manners meant the interviewee was unlikely to insist on them with her kidshmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now