Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminding Expenses for Tax

(11 Posts)
Amylouise Thu 25-May-06 12:40:16


I am due to start childminding in a few weeks.

Apart from the obvious things that you can expense for tax, like toys, buggies, highchairs etc.
And the percentage of lighting, heating etc described in the NCMA handbook.
Is there anything else that people put down as expenses that maybe new childminders, like me, might not think of?
A friend suggested I could offset the cost of my window cleaner, which I hadn't thought of!!!

looneytune Thu 25-May-06 12:53:47

Not got much time but off the top of my head:

Fees for toddlers
Fees for Outings
Shopping (part of cost of whatever mindees use i.e. food, drinks, toilet roll, soap, wipes, anything really as long as mindee uses - you need to work out how much of it they use though - good luck with that )
Mileage - for nursery/school runs, trips out, even for every shopping trip)
Costs of printing brochures/business cards/posters
Advertising costs
Sky tv (if have)
Broadband (if have)

I don't think you can put window cleaner expenses though but I may be wrong!

zoeuk1 Thu 25-May-06 13:47:48

are you sure you can claim for broadband? my mindees use the computer and the internet. would i be able to claim for the time they use it? i didnt know that i could.

Isyhan Thu 25-May-06 13:56:05

Ive got a list from early years:
It includes:
cleaners, dish cloths, towels, baby wipes, nappies, sacks, liners, bibs, cups, bowls etc
first aid equip., buggies, high chairs, cots, baby walkers, fire guard, safety gates, car seat, safety belts,glass protection, locks, bed linen, medicine cabinet, steriliser, fencing , gates, garden clearance, paving, turf, sand pit, sand, flour, dough, pastry cutters etc, all games, toys, petrol, public transport fees, entrance fees, course fees, additional treats, stationary, insurance, household insurance, account books, registers, diary, publications, note paper, pension, sick pay, advertsing costs.

there thats my list.

alison222 Thu 25-May-06 14:02:11

I have an NT card I use it to park in the NT car parks to go and feed the ducks - I add that. Ditto my Kew season ticket.
Also photos you take of the kids - if you print or develop them.
Batteries for toys
carpet cleaning if you need to get them done more frequently. Possibly a cleaner 9if you were too busy to do it yourself - in my dreams I have one )
Mileage, car parking. If you go out YOUR costs as well as the childrens for entrance fees snacks etc.

looneytune Thu 25-May-06 14:11:53

Broadband - I had a lady from the Inland Revenue who came to visit me and said I could claim this HOWEVER, thinking about it, I may be getting confused as I was talking about my website business aswell and of course that would allow broadband fees.

May be safer to ignore the broadband actually. Sorry for any confusion!

ayla99 Thu 25-May-06 16:32:48

You can only claim the full cost if its clearly solely for business use - eg website hosting/design, business email address. With things like internet connection & ink cartridges that are also used for non-childminding purposes you can only claim a percentage. 50% is a safe option.

mobile phone topups, magazine/newspaper subscriptions, video/dvd hire, logo'd clothing (eg NCMA workwear), wristbands for trips, Childrens' cutlery, crockery, flannels & towels. Spare clothing for kids. Car wash & valeting (especially if you've taken a travel sick child out!).

You can claim petrol for trips without mindies with you if your trip was for business purposes - eg to drop paperwork off at parents or to buy a car seat.

juliaemma Thu 25-May-06 20:23:39

I didnt realise you could claim back car wash and valating? All of the cost of part of it??

Also with broadband, if the kids onluse it for homework and general use, what % could you claim for that??

Its so silly, this question gets brought up all the time with childminders i know. Someone, somewhere should gixe us a list!!!

jellyjelly Fri 26-May-06 08:59:58

You might keep your car cleaner if you are using it for work so yes claim it back.

I wouldnt wash my car anywhere near as much as i do so it gets claimed back.

juliaemma Fri 26-May-06 10:46:57

The full amount? or a %??

jellyjelly Fri 26-May-06 10:55:31

I do the full amount because if i didnt have this job i wouldnt wash my car much but because i want to create a good impression it gets washed very often.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: