Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

New to all this - help!

(2 Posts)
Misty9 Tue 28-May-13 20:57:31

After nearly 21 months of being a sahm it looks like I'm going to be working soon sad and excited.. So we need a nanny for two days a week but have no idea how to go about this/what we need to know, so I'm hoping some kind MNetters might be able to help.

Job would be live-out 2 days per week, 9-5pm for 21 month old (whilst dh works from home - is that important?) in Norwich. At least 3 months, possibly longer.
Rough ideas of pay for that? Gross? Spoke to a nanny the other day who said she's getting £7ph, which seemed low...

Questions:
- worth paying a nanny agency?
- if let go early on a day (I've read this is welcomed grin ) does that mean less paid hours that day? Or just swings and roundabouts?
- if out and about during lunch, what's the general arrangement for food? Money for meals out? Provisions for packed lunch? I normally eat out, but that can get expensive!
- do any nannies do day rates? Rather than hourly?
- we read its recommended to let the nanny shadow you for a day first. Is this the norm/good idea?

Will stick an advert on gumtree I think, but we need to figure out a range for pay first. Thanks!

nannynick Tue 28-May-13 21:47:14

Why do you need a nanny, rather than say use the services of a childminder, or a nursery? A nanny may well be 2 to 3 times the cost of other childcare types, so is going to be high cost for care of just one child.

NannyJob JobSearch does not list many jobs available but those which are listed do give some pay info. You may find some nannies via NannyJob and Childcare.co.uk

£7 per hour, may well be NET (so before deduction of employee NI and employee income tax). It could be gross, hard to know unless they specifically said. It does sound quite low but when starting out as a nanny, nannies do accept lower salaries so they build up experience and thus can then demand a higher salary when changing job.

Agencies can be helpful if they already have suitable nannies on their books. If they are going to advertise the job on websites, then you could do that. However do you have the time to shift through applications? If you have time, advertise yourself first... see what happens, then use an agency if you find it too tough doing it yourself or if you are not getting any interest in the job.

- if let go early on a day (I've read this is welcomed ) does that mean less paid hours that day? Or just swings and roundabouts?

No, typically nannies are contracted to work a certain number of nannies per week, which could be expressed as a per month or even per year... usually though in my view it is per week.
So if you let them go home early, you still pay. However you may then get some good-will towards a time when you run late. That is not guaranteed though. If you are frequently late home, or if you come home a lot later than scheduled, then additional pay would be expected.

- if out and about during lunch, what's the general arrangement for food? Money for meals out? Provisions for packed lunch? I normally eat out, but that can get expensive!

Personally I try to take things for packed lunch out. Sometimes we will go on a trip and have a meal at an Italian restaurant but such occasions are quite rare. Cost of that would come out of the weekly expenses kitty. Generally all food/drink whilst on duty is provided by the employer, either in terms of physical food, or money to pay for food.

- do any nannies do day rates? Rather than hourly?

As the employer you can express the salary as a per-day figure if you like, however that day would still be specified in it's length. So the same end result. Personally I quite like salary specified as Annual Salary, as that compares with jobs in other work sectors.

- we read its recommended to let the nanny shadow you for a day first. Is this the norm/good idea?

Depends on the nanny... personally I don't mind just starting straight away. Having parent and nanny around at the same time can be confusing for children, if it happens day 1, then they may expect it to happen day 2 onwards. Sometimes it can be helpful to have a couple of hours one afternoon before hand just to get to know a child better, such as going to the park as a family.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now