Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

'Childcare' for older children/teenagers

(6 Posts)
alimac87 Tue 28-May-13 13:23:33

I am busy trying to find a full-time job after years of freelancing from home, and I will probably end up commuting into London. I have a 12 year old daughter who is quite young for her age and has some mild medical needs, and a 16 year old son. And a dog.

I'm trying to think through some kind of care/backup plan. Husband gets back at 7 pm. I would get back at 7-7.30 pm. Mornings wouldn't be a problem but I am not keen on leaving DD to look after herself from 3 till 7. Son can obviously be around some of the time, but not every day. Then there are the summer holidays / half terms to think about...

We live in a university town so I think my two options would be a) a student or b) an au pair. Or something else we haven't thought of. No family nearby. Are there people around who would go for a job like this? Is there some solution I haven't thought of? Ideas very welcome.

BabyStone Tue 28-May-13 18:03:17

I had a previous nannying job that was only in the evenings/hqlf terms too. (until the parent got a bit too used to me doing the school run etc then relied on me too often, in my opinion)
Your first option sounds ideal, or maybe a family who do Nannyshares? Someone who already has a part time morning job? There's got to be someone

arwen72t Tue 28-May-13 18:09:38

When I was a student I did a school pick up and cooked tea and hung around until the mum came home. I also babysat for the same family. There should be a sensible student whose lectures fit around your needs but they may not be prepared to do every day.

alimac87 Tue 28-May-13 18:17:16

Thanks babystone. My DD needs a funny mix of playing/talking/hanging out/taking to classes some of the time, but is also old enough to go and play with friends. So it's someone who can get on with other things or indeed do their own thing. I think it might be a bit boring for a nanny share, but I don't know.

ponders

BabyStone Tue 28-May-13 19:00:26

Where abouts are you? If you don't me asking

alimac87 Tue 28-May-13 20:18:03

An hour out of London...i'm probably not identifiable but it's a bit of a small town!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now