Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Contract

(5 Posts)
Jellybellyrbest Mon 27-May-13 11:59:20

I've recently returned to work & have gone down the Childminder route for more flexibility as my working hours require this. Our CM is lovely; she worked in the nursery my older DC attended before having her own DC. So I do feel I know her & she is great with DD. However; this is her first CM role, so we're both a little green & embarrassed about Contract etc. She is genuinely very easy going, but still hasn't produced any sort of contract even though I have casually mentioned it a few times. She did say at one point that we wouldn't be paying when DD wasn't with her, but in a discussion about parents paying the nursery exorbitant prices when children were sick etc. So not entirely sure exactly what she meant. I have paid her the BH I get with work...but really would prefer NOT to pay for the weeks I'm off work. Is this unrealistic? It does feel a bit unfair actually....she deserves holiday pay. What do other people do? Also, I guess I need some sort of arrangement on paper for circumstances when she or her DC are sick....how do I press the point without making her uncomfortable? My DD has been with her for a few months now, and everything's been going very well. TIA

apotomak Mon 27-May-13 12:22:56

Is she Ofsted registered at all? It shocks me she's had your child for a while and you have not signed contracts. There is nothing embarrassing about it ... just ask her to prepare contracts asap as it is absolutely vital you know what you pay for and what not.
I charge when I am available to work so parents don't pay only when I am unavailable. If they go on holiday and I am available they still pay. But every childminder is different some charge when they are unavailable as well. Therefore you need a contract where everything is writtenin detail.

nannynick Mon 27-May-13 12:28:05

Maybe suggest that she gets a pre-prepared contract from Morton Michel or NCMA/PACEY - she is probably insured through one of those providers. That way she has something to start from and can modify bits that need changing, such as when she does and does not expect payment.

HSMMaCM Mon 27-May-13 15:15:49

She should have been advised about paperwork on her registration course.

Jellybellyrbest Mon 27-May-13 17:55:41

Thx all...she was advised to hve a Contract, but just hasn't got around to it yet. She's casual & easy-going by nature & insists she'll work around me. She was a private Nanny for 12 years for a local family & didn't have a contract then, so possibly just doesn't feel the need! I do though, to know where I stand!!! Just need to be firmer I guess...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now