Regular poster but changed name IN CASE one of my mindees parents reads this or something.
Basically, been wanting to move to a bigger house for years but circumstances haven't allowed this. We're once again looking into the possibility of moving but my income is vital for the mortgage.
I want to know if me moving 5/6 miles away would make parents choose another childminder but I'm worried that asking them may make them want to give me notice (unless they decide I'm so fantastic that they'll travel to me).
Have any of you been in this situation before? What would you do? I do feel I can talk to these parents about this but am always paranoid of saying something that may put them off me.
Well, one mindees parents said they had a nightmare with 2 previous childminders and can't believe the change in their child since moving to me (so hopefully wouldn't want to risk moving them??!!), another is early start that I don't think many minders round here would be willing to do, another has told me if I stopped minding their child, they wouldn't get another childminder and the other is very new but only 1 day a week anyway.
Soooooooo, shall I have a casual chat with them then???? I could sell the idea of bigger house, better space for kids blabla
Are there no bigger homes nearer to where you are now? Is the 5/6 miles away location in a place where there is likely to be equal demand for your services should your existing mindees move?
Are you totally sure that a move to bigger premises would mean 5/6 miles away?
Our house is on the market at the moment and I was very reluctant to put up a for sale sign until I had explained the situation to all my families. They have all been great about it.
We are looking to stay in the same town - but even so - with the huge increase in mortgage and associated expenses - I have based all affordability considerations on the worst case scenario ie having to start up my business again from scratch.
Could you offer any incentives to your existing parents? Like a home pick-up service or all-inclusive meals etc?
The move location wise is where we want to live, nearer school, lots in walking distance and lots of other reasons. Also, we couldn't afford a house where we live (we're currently shared-ownership) and we HATE this village and for lots and lots of reasons, want out of it!
There would be no For Sale sign to worry about as we wouldn't want neighbours etc to know (there's a history) but I do worry about property paper etc so don't want to just put on the market iyswim.
I would be willing to offer a pick up service IF I HAD TO but would prefer to test the water without that to start with . They'd have to collect from me though. Would be happy to change charges a little (but not for full time mindee, they save £100 a month due to full time discount so that should also be incentive to stay with me )
Have you found a house, do you really know that you are moving? would you move anyway? Moving house can take months. Is it up for sale? So many things and i wouldnt mentioned things unless you really know in case they do give notice.
jelly - only just seen your post (sandwiched between my two ) Do you mean would we be able to get a buyer ok? If so, no problem AT ALL. Believe me, there are people DESPERATE for our place just because they can't afford the silly house prices these days! We sold couple of years ago and then pulled out and stayed. We got offered the asking price within 24 hrs of it going on the market and whilst thinking whether to accept or not, 2 more upped the bid. We sold for quite a bit more than we advertised it for but then had to pull out for other reasons.
If that isn't what you were asking, let me know what you meant