Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Advice from nannies

(5 Posts)
neversleepagain Fri 24-May-13 09:33:35

I came across this post.....Hi,

We have a great nanny for our 16 month old twin girls. She's been with us since they were four months old and currently does four days a week but this can change to three days a week when my work is quiet or five when busier (I run my own company from home and have busier and quieter times of the year) - so flexibility is key which suits her as she has other work commitments most evenings or one day a week.

Can other twin mums using a nanny in London tell me the going rate and what they pay or think is fair. She's just asked for a payrise plus paid holiday and sick days. She's on £10 an hour, about 32 hours a week and she's not an employee going through payroll so it's up to her to sort her NI and tax.

It's a cushy job as the girls are really well behaved and she doesn't start till 9.30am and we can let her go early sometimes as I work mainly from an office at home to get to her other work in the evenings. A lot of other jobs wouldn't be as flexible for her.

Would be good to hear thoughts so I can work out if this is the going rate for a london nanny. We don't want to lose her but we aren't minted and can't really go above that much as to what we are paying her now which I feel is very reasonable.

Thanks for your help!

Being a childminder, and from what I read on here, this doesn't sound right. Can a nanny help please?

Thanks smile

nannynick Fri 24-May-13 09:38:55

Does not sound like a self employed position as the mum is dictating the hours, though maybe the nanny can refuse to do any hours requested. Hourly rate seems low for self employed, even employed nannies in London can be on 12 gross an hour upwards.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 24-May-13 09:44:41

£10ph hour if gross as this appears to be as the mum isn't paying the nannies tax or ni (so illegal) is a very low wage for London tho twins shouldn't make a difference as nannies are paid per family and not per child

The lady is employing a nanny therefore needs to discuss paying the nanny a gross wage and then deducting tax and ni

This also means the nanny should be getting paid holiday and at least ssp

My advice to the nanny - find a new job ASAP and work for someone who won't employ her illegally smile

NomDeClavier Fri 24-May-13 10:53:57

Sounds like the nanny has found out she's supposed to be employed so is asking for her rights. Hope other posters set her straight!

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 24-May-13 12:01:16

Nanny should almost certainly be an employee (with all the rights that brings).

Going rate in London £10-14 gross ph, depending on age/experience/qualifications. £10ph gross probably OK if she's just stepped up from au pair to nanny for example. She's been there a year now though so payrise may be in order.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now