Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

I've only gone and got myself a nanny job...

(23 Posts)
letsgoflyakite Thu 23-May-13 23:01:56

In Greece!!

I'm handing in my notice for my current job (I'm a nurse in a hospital) and then in a couple of weeks I am off to Greece.

I'm so excited!

Hints and tips for working and living abroad are very welcomed! (Will be topping up the kindle and ipod and tablet with films)

mikkii Fri 24-May-13 06:29:33

Get a local pay and go mobile hen you arrive so you don't pay uk charges to receive calls.

If you have an iPhone or ipad then piggy bag on their broadband and facetime people. Or use skype.

Where in Greece? Most Greeks speak English so language shouldn't be a problem

NomDeClavier Fri 24-May-13 10:55:09

Lucky you!

Have a damn good contract, make sure you're clear on who pays for what (flights, insurance etc) and go in with an open mind smile

Sarah1611 Fri 24-May-13 11:37:47

Can I ask if its for a private family or a company?

WouldBeHarrietVane Fri 24-May-13 17:54:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WouldBeHarrietVane Fri 24-May-13 17:56:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 24-May-13 18:05:58

<too jealous to comment>


letsgoflyakite Fri 24-May-13 23:30:21

It's with a private family but via an agency. The contract looks pretty watertight, they pay for all flights, my flight out, when travelling with them, and 2 return flights a year to go home. The family are lucky enough to have a yacht so the island hopping starts pretty much when I do!

My EHIC card should cover me even whilst working, and I have nanny insurance but will need to probably extend that for overseas.

I am pooping myself. I keep thinking WHAT AM I DOING, but it's definitely the best decision... hopefully I'll be there for a long time. The baby is only young still.

WouldBeHarrietVane Fri 24-May-13 23:32:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 24-May-13 23:55:32

Are they an English family or a Greek family?

Trunchbull Sat 25-May-13 07:36:38

Or are they Scot, Welsh or Northern Irish? wink

forevergreek Sat 25-May-13 07:44:17

Ps your ehic card isn't travel insurance, it just contains your medical info. So you def need that on top. Good luck

WouldBeHarrietVane Sat 25-May-13 07:49:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

letsgoflyakite Sat 25-May-13 08:10:19

I checked with the agency who said that EHIC is sufficient cover, and that if I needed to see a doctor, that is all I need. My brother lives in Rhodes and I know he relies on the EHIC card. I have travel insurance but presumably it's void if I am living in the country? Ah man, I need to check this out.

The family are Greek, but have a second home in London so we'll be travelling back here quite frequently.

letsgoflyakite Sat 25-May-13 08:17:11

It says if I am working as a nanny I can use my EHIC for a year without having to do a load of otger paperwork to get healthcare.

forevergreek Sat 25-May-13 09:50:55

My nanny contracts if abroad include a level of insurance at least at the level of my employers. Usually premium.

The ehic card will let you see a doctor sure, but any treatment or medication will cost hence the insurance

reminds me of the time I got malaria working in Namibia and luckily had good insurance. My insurance paid for me to have a private medical flight back to the uk, private healthcare/ ward/ doctor on return and paid for 4 months of earnings I lost etc. Def look it up as it doesn't cost very much in comparison.

LynetteScavo Sat 25-May-13 09:57:29

I would advise you to get a level of insurance written into your contract.

I was once in the position where I needed treatment, and the family I was working for had no insurance for me, and I had none for myself...they did pay for my treatment, but things could have been very different.

forevergreek Sat 25-May-13 10:04:49

Also you should register with town hall/ equivalent etc so they know you are there. Just incase of something random happening there like an earthquake/ riots etc as then the British embassy will know where you are also

NomDeClavier Sat 25-May-13 12:35:39

I'd also definitely get insurance. Greece doesn't have anything like the NHS and the EHIC only gets you the same treatment as a national of the country you are in, which most places in Europe means paying because long term residents have some kind of private top up.

I doubt your nanny insurance will cover you working permanently overseas. Most do a max of 180 days and insist that you be resident in the UK and working for the family before you go. Who are you with?

Definitely get insurance. Bupa International is not very expensive and can be cancelled within 30 days.

letsgoflyakite Sun 26-May-13 16:54:30

Ohh thanks for the Bupa advice. Will check it out.

homeaway Mon 27-May-13 19:44:51

congratulations ! On a pratical note make an appointment to see your dentist and get any medical prescriptions before you go as different countries don't always sell the same medications. Hope you have a fab time !

letsgoflyakite Mon 27-May-13 21:21:16

I do take regular medication and actually, greece don't have it, I'm going to see the doc on Friday but he won't give me a years worth, surely?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now