Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny or Manny?

(8 Posts)
MrsHBaby3 Thu 23-May-13 11:23:35

I havent read the individual cvs just yet, but the agency Ive applied for has said that included in the candidates is a Manny. This got me thinking whether this would sway it either way presuming the candidates were equally fab in every other way.
So.. Manny.. Yay or nay?

AuntieStella Thu 23-May-13 11:27:17

Depends on what the other applicants were like, and which I thought was best fit for my family. I don't expect any candidate, male or female, to be displaying their genitatia to the DC, so I'm not so bothered what's in their pants.

MrsHBaby3 Thu 23-May-13 11:54:36

Thats basically what I think, but lets say hyperthetically if there is absolutely no other difference between candidates, which would you pick?

OutragedFromLeeds Thu 23-May-13 12:31:21

If there was absolutely no other difference I'd flip a coin. It's illegal to discriminate on the basis of gender isn't it?

It's a bit of a silly question though as it would NEVER happen. Like snowflakes, no two nannies are exactly the same wink.

Even if two candidates look the same on paper, you'll feel happier with one than the other. Go with your gut instinct.

nannynick Thu 23-May-13 13:15:51

Surely there will be something different between them... if a live out job, they may live a different distance from your home for example.

You may like one better than the other.

Don't worry about things until they occur - you have not interviewed them yet or even seen their cv.

I am a nanny (manny) and if I looked at the children I have cared for over the years there are probably more boys than girls, though many families have had a mixture of genders.

Consider the qualities you are looking form in your ideal nanny. Consider how they fit with your family, how well you feel you can get on with them. Avoid thinking along stereotypical lines such as boys are good at football, girls are good at arts/crafts. Everyone is unique... I personally dislike football.

MrsHBaby3 Fri 24-May-13 12:02:43

No it doesnt bother me either way, I just wondered if I was missing something if anybody has a preference?

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 24-May-13 12:14:42

People have preferences, those people are sexists.

(Apart from in a very small minority of cases where the child is lacking any input in their lives from one gender and the parent feels a nanny of that gender may be a benefit. That is probably valid.)

NomDeClavier Sun 26-May-13 19:19:26

It usually boils down to stereotyping, a conscious effort to recruit a certain gender role model (usually the case with those looking for mannies) or the mother's feelings on her privacy (very few male maternity or night nannies for example because it usually involves helping with BFing!).

My advice would just be take each candidate as they come and if that includes a female rugby player and a male ballet dancer then consider what the best fit for your family is in terms of personality and skills.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now