Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

AIBU regarding Au Pair?

(4 Posts)
kimlek Wed 22-May-13 00:26:54

I've been reading about Au Pairs being exploited and unreasonable hosts. So just want to check that I'm not expecting too much.
My summer Au Pair (around 6 weeks) will be in sole charge of 3 DDs (aged 10, 8 & 4) for around 3 hours, 3 days a week whilst I work as well as a bit of evening babysitting. No cleaning etc. as have cleaner. I'm thinking of Au Pairs in their early 20's with some babysitting / childcare exp.
BUT....
is it reasonable to expect an Au Pair to look after 3 children for 3 hours alone? Has anyone any experience of this?
Look forward to your thoughts!!

Cloverer Wed 22-May-13 00:30:51

Yes, sounds fine. Most au pairs do 25ish hours a week of childcare for school age children - eg. 7am-9am and 3pm-6pm.

EdieBlizzard Wed 22-May-13 00:35:56

Sounds fine....

minderjinx Wed 22-May-13 09:15:55

I think it depends on your children (how well-behaved they are and how easy they are to supervise/entertain) and of course the au pair's experience and what you would expect her to do with them. If you have any doubts about whether they might be difficult to manage, I would start off with low risk activities or outings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now