Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Au pair car insurance - how much???!!!

(6 Posts)
wheresmyliein1973 Tue 21-May-13 17:48:42

Hi, we are planning to hire an au pair from September this year, once our DS starts primary school. We have a 7 seater Ford family car which we were thinking of letting the AP use for school run etc (only way to get to school unfortunately).

We have been quoted £6,000 pa to insure a 21 year old European driver - we can't be more specific until we actually find an AP, but roughly that's what we are talking about.

So, £6,000 annual insurance cost is out of the question. We are now looking at buying a small car which would be cheap to insure and will last a few years. We're looking a Toyota Yaris or cars in that class.

Any tips on good cars to get which will be reliable and won't cost the earth to run, tax and insure for an AP?

Thanks

biffnbuster Tue 21-May-13 18:50:01

I have an i10, £30.00 tax. It has a small boot though, what ages are your children ?

eeyore12 Tue 21-May-13 19:55:57

It is the fact they will be under 25, any car will be quite expensive to insure for that reason. That is why most families who need to insure an au pair or nanny look for one over 25 yrs old.

BoffinMum Tue 21-May-13 21:39:13

We have a cheap but safe sub £1000 car for AP use, and our additional insurance premiums for over 21s are negligible. Direct Line is the best firm to go with, probably.

pizzaqueen Tue 21-May-13 21:42:34

To compare I'm 24, 3 years no claims, drive citreon c3, my insurance is about £400 a year.

When I was 21 and just passed my driving test it was £2500 for a peugot 206.

andagain Wed 22-May-13 10:51:55

Hi,
We got a very small call,Toyota Aygo, exactly for this reason. It is incredibly efficient, tax is £40 per year, no congestion charge in London and, as it is so small, you can park it anywhere!

It is class 1 car so the lowest insurance possible. Other things that will play part in how much your AP insurance costs will be if she is over 24 (much cheaper insurance), if she had a licence for 5 years (again much cheaper if five years or more) and no claims for 3 years or more.

We have full comp insurance on this car with three named adults (one of which is our 24 year old ap) and it is £490. Bargain

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now