Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Where do I start?

(3 Posts)
maillotjaune Tue 21-May-13 12:51:54

At the moment my parents look after my 3 sons when I work (part time, but not fixed days).

They love it, but are getting on and I am a bit worried about the next school year as my youngest is still in nursery (3 hours in the morning) and my father may need surgery at some point.

I want to start looking at possible childcare options - preferably a childminder but I was wondering if maybe a nanny for 12-18 months might be a solution.

Please can anyone help me with the best place to start looking for information? I have done a couple of searches but have just found endless lists of childminders from anywhere in the surrounding parts of London but I need someone who could do the school run to DSs school and I have no idea where is the best place to find this information.

OutragedFromLeeds Tue 21-May-13 12:57:11

Contact your local council they should have a list of all registered childminders in your area.

You can look on childcare.co.uk, type in your postcode and sit hould just bring up local childminders.

Ask at the school, either other parentsand/or in the office, if they know of any childminders who pick-up from the school.

I think most childminders will need you to pick fixed days though, or pay for full time so that you definitely have cover for all the days you need. A childminder who doesn't work to capacity may be able to offer you more flexibility with days.

maillotjaune Tue 21-May-13 16:02:24

Thanks that's really useful. I was assuming I'd need to pay for 2-3 days with my parents doing the odd day and DH using some annual leave as it's only for the year of nursery (school has excellent wrap around care once DS3 is in reception).

Will start with the council then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now