Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny job

(6 Posts)
ELBE Mon 20-May-13 18:34:03

I'm a nanny and I have been working for a family and dad won't talk to me it's uncomfortable any suggestions. Also recently advertised my job on website and I was only off sick for the first time in a year for two days while I was ill. Children have special needs and they didn't tell me full extent.

nannynick Mon 20-May-13 21:48:49

Do you need to talk to dad - do you have much to talk about? He may not like general chit chat though he may want to know about anything serious affecting the children or the house.

Maybe they did not know how long you would be having off.

Children may not have a diagnosis. If they do have a diagnosis, were you told the diagnosis at interview? When you met the children, did you observe how they played, responded to you?

Are you unhappy in your job? Could you do anything to make it more of a job you enjoy - perhaps learning more about how to help children with additional needs.

annh Mon 20-May-13 21:58:47

Do you mean he does't talk to you AT ALL? Or just no general chit-chat? I have to admit I couldn't work in an environment where someone totally blanked me.

If you are sure it was your job which was advertised, did you speak to them about it?

Do you actually want to stay with this family or look for another job?

ELBE Tue 21-May-13 18:40:46

Mum talks to me but doesn't tell me anything that is important. It was advertised as a small level and I spent alot of time with them beforehand. I have been doing job for 13 mths and have a good relationship with the children. I have asked to talk about it but not I'm being ignored. I had 2 days off in 13 mnths.

annh Tue 21-May-13 19:48:59

You haven't answered the previous question - does the Dad speak to you at all? And now you have thrown up some new questions - what do you mean by "small level" - is that referring to the needs of the children? What is important which the mother does not tell you, is it things which are impacting your ability to do your job?

nannynick Tue 21-May-13 20:43:34

>It was advertised as a small level and I spent alot of time with them beforehand.

What was... the additional needs the children have, perhaps?
So you were forewarned and you spent time with them so could decide for yourself if you could handle things.
As with anything, things change over time, so maybe whatever the additional need is has changed, maybe improved in some ways and got worse in others.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now