Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Advice/Wisdom need please - I'm a pregnant nanny

(8 Posts)
NTMummy059 Mon 20-May-13 13:54:45

I am only 25 weeks pregnant but just want to roughly set thinking about childcare and returning to work (I know I've got ages yet but feel the need to be prepared!)
So I'm a nanny at the moment but my contact was due to end in December anyway (I'm due September) as the children will be old enough and they will no longer need a nanny.
Anyway, I was just curious as to what other nannys have done after having children? (this will be my first)
As far as I'm aware my options are
- go back to nannying (bringing child.. hard to find?)
- go back to nannying (without child..feel guilty about looking after someone else's child more than my own?)
- work in a day nursery (child could be in baby room if I get a job in toddler room for example..rubbish pay?)
- work in a school nursery (harder to find job plus my maternity pay will stop just as summer holidays stay so if I got a job next September I would have a few months before with no money?)

I just don't know what the best option is .. what did you all do? Or that do any mums think would be the most ideal situation?

Sorry for long ramble! blush

NTMummy059 Mon 20-May-13 13:56:33

I should add we can't afford a nanny and I don't feel able to stay childminding (although I would love to!) as will be renting a small flat and it just wouldn't be suitable sad

NTMummy059 Mon 20-May-13 13:57:15

start childminding.. not stay

OutragedFromLeeds Mon 20-May-13 14:06:42

I'd look for a NWOC job. Lots of people are looking to save on childcare at the moment, so more people are open to the idea of a nwoc than before.

I think it will probably be hard work, but it's the best of both worlds really, being with your baby all day plus still earning a good wage (more than you'd get in a nursery and without childcare costs).

If you have a mum/DP or someone who could have the baby when it's sick, in some school holidays etc it will probably make your life easier and make you more appealing to employers

november12mum Mon 20-May-13 19:14:22

Hi,congratulations first,I am in the same boat as you,I gave birth to my first but can't go back to the old job so I decided to continue nannying ,I will be looking after another baby same age as mine,when my maternity leave ends.hopefully all will go well.

Seb101 Mon 20-May-13 20:25:10

I had my first baby a year ago, and had to leave my nanny job because the hours were too much. I managed to find a lovely nanny job looking after a baby the same age as mine. I take my little girl with me every day, and they are becoming great pals! I really sold myself as it being a huge benefit me bringing my daughter with me. For a job with a single child, it's great company. Many potential employers feel this way, so don't be afraid to sell it as a positive! Being a mother will give you a whole new level of childcare experience, believe me, there is nothing like the 24/7 nature if parenthood! In my opinion you will be an attractive potential employee. It definitely takes longer to find the right job, but if you love being a nanny- go for it, you might find something perfect! Good luck xx

worsestershiresauce Tue 21-May-13 21:45:15

I would be very open to employing a nanny with her own child, as from my perspective it is the best of both worlds - a skilled qualified experienced carer for my child, and also social interaction with another child. I'd stick with nannying if I were you as there must be lots of mums like me who'd snap you up.

WouldBeHarrietVane Tue 21-May-13 22:26:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now