Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Redundancy Pay

(9 Posts)
callini Sun 19-May-13 18:22:23

Hi,
Have a query about redundancy pay....my employer told me on Mon(13 may 2013) that instead of going back to work now her maternity leave is ending she has taken voluntary redundancy so no longer needs me, we agreed however that I will stay on until the end of September clearly more than the 6 weeks notice stated in my contract. A nanny friend has told me because she is giving me extended notice they do not have to give me redundancy pay.
I have worked for them full time for almost 6 years. We haven't discussed the finer details yet and have a great relationship I don't want it sullied by money issues and would rather walk away with nothing if it becomes a problem.
Would just like an idea of legal stuff etc. just so im inform

callini Sun 19-May-13 18:24:14

oops posted before finished that post....

just so I'm informed of all my options, all help appreciated.
Thanks

RandomMess Sun 19-May-13 18:24:58

You need to check your contract first of all.

RandomMess Sun 19-May-13 18:25:54

Lots of info here

https://www.gov.uk/browse/working/redundancies-dismissals

callini Sun 19-May-13 18:27:21

my contract just has period of notice by both parties as 6 weeks no mention of redundancy.

callini Sun 19-May-13 18:36:16

Thanks randomMess...site had all info I needed, turns out employers can give you more than statutory notice(never Less) and still entitled to redundancy pay.

nannynick Sun 19-May-13 19:24:12

Yes, redundancy pay is not conditional on a short notice period being given. Notice period (be it you working it, as is the case here) or payment in lieu of notice is a separate issue. Redundancy pay is on top of your usual pay.

Perhaps give your boss a link to the page about redundancy pay, so they can start digesting that info and saving up the requirement payment.

sweetsummerlove Mon 20-May-13 07:29:54

when do you qualify for redundancy pay? I've never been given notice because a family hasn't needed me any longer so i'm not sure, am I right I thinking that any family who give notice because they no longer need a nanny, then have to pay redundancy?

nannynick Mon 20-May-13 08:41:43

You have to have worked for the employer for 2 years.
The position needs to be redundant, not the person, so a family no longer needing a nanny is likely to be redundancy, but a family changing the days of work is more tricky.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now