Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Where should I advertise for a nanny (Berkshire)?

(8 Posts)
Inclusionist Fri 17-May-13 21:20:47

I want to employ a term time only, live-out nanny for a year starting in September. Hours will be 7.30am to 6.30pm and the nanny will need to drive her own car but we will pay milage/wear. DS will be at pre-school for 3 hrs a day of this time when the nanny will not be expected to work.

I am in Berkshire. Where should I advertise this position? Gumtree?

nannynick Fri 17-May-13 21:33:00

As a nanny on the Berkshire/Surrey border, I would look at:

www.nannyjob.co.uk
Netmums Local
www.Childcare.co.uk
Local nanny agencies (used to use one in Windsor but alas it closed)

I would not look on Gumtree, as there seems to only be Reading Gumtree, not other areas and I'm quite far from Reading really. So unless you are very near Reading, not sure Gumtree is that useful.

See other threads in this section about children being in pre-school and how that may affect pay of a nanny. You may find that applicants would not be interested if you did not pay during the pre-school time period, as nanny is likely to still be on-call for child illness, pre-school closure, expected to work all day in pre-school holidays.

Inclusionist Fri 17-May-13 21:43:26

No, I would fully expect to pay for the hours DS is in school. The fact that our nanny would be on call is the point! I don't want to pay for school holidays though as DH and I are both teachers.

I am in Burnham nannynick, which I believe is in your patch? If you have any contacts I would be interested to hear of them.

How much do you think I should offer for 55hrs a week, 40 weeks a yr?

nannynick Fri 17-May-13 21:54:37

Some nannies will do term-time only jobs. I have in the past, not sure I would again though as it does mean earning quite a bit less.

Would 40 weeks be enough to cover the weeks you need them to work plus their statutory holiday? As teachers you may want to put a condition on that holiday can not be taken during school term time (unless exceptional circumstance, such as attending a funeral of a close family member). That sort of condition I feel is expected but does get compensated for by offering a bit more than statutory holiday.

Pay is tricky. I would probably look at around £26k, though you may find some nannies will accept less, whilst others will want more. So decide what you can afford to pay, then offer a bit less... so there is movement for a payrise in the future.

Inclusionist Fri 17-May-13 22:05:30

My DH is in the independent sector and as such has longer holidays so, yes, 40 weeks includes holiday pay.

Do you mean £26k per annum (pro rata) or £26k for the 40 weeks? We could do the former but probably not the latter.

nannynick Fri 17-May-13 22:12:51

No pro-rata, for the actual working weeks.

£26k for 44 weeks (I upped it to 44 weeks to add in some holiday entitlement should it not have already been included).

For 40 weeks, probably £24-£25k (this is at around £11 gross an hour). Could you get someone for less, possibly. Certainly when I did it (worked for a family where both parents worked at independent schools) it was probably nearer £17k but it suited me at the time. What salary someone needs to earn will vary from applicant to applicant, thus advertise the job with a salary which you have decided and see how much interest you get from applicants. Also consider how much experience you expect the applicant to have, if you are prepared to take someone in their first nanny job then the salary may be a lot lower than that which a very experienced nanny will accept.

Murtette Fri 17-May-13 22:43:13

I'm on Bucks/Berks border and am currently looking for a nanny. I'd told all the nannies I know, had advertised locally and on childcare.co.uk with little success & then spoke to Tinies who have sent me several CVs which we whittled down and like most of the ones we've met .

SaveWaterDrinkMalibu Fri 17-May-13 23:13:48

OP I sent you a message

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now