Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

nanny jobs

(14 Posts)
mollyp99 Fri 17-May-13 16:15:38

Hello,
I've recently passed and gained my Childcare level 3 qualification, having already gained a Diploma in the field. I am looking at taking up 'working with children' in some capacity, mainly nannying. Yet i seem to be hitting brick walls where-ever i turn, people want someone with experience or they want a nanny that can drive. Plus there doesn't seem to be anyone looking for a nanny in Manchester!!. Please can someone help me out here?, or give me some advice as i'm getting more and more frustrated, and getting really fed up with it all. It's all i've ever wanted to do, but doesn't seem to be working out.
Thankyou.

sweetsummerlove Fri 17-May-13 16:50:55

Hi there.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say being a driver, is pretty standard for nannies. I know some who don't have their own car so have used the families where possible- but truthfully I think a non-driving nanny would be rare...so possibly somthing you need to consider.

Its a vicious circle..everyone wants experience but no one will give you a break to gain any. Perhaps you are requesting to much £ ph for a new nanny? Have you joined agencies? some agencies (such as eden international) advertise 'junior nannies' for families willing to give new nannies a chance but at a reduced hourly rate. hth

sweetsummerlove Fri 17-May-13 16:51:23

Perhaps join bank staff for a nursery also for a solid reference.

notapoloshirtperson Fri 17-May-13 16:52:31

Can I ask which qualification you have, and where you took it? Surely you had work placements during that time? Do you have a couple of really good references?
Outside of London there are far fewer nanny jobs. Also a nanny who drives is far more desirable to families, so you should make that your priority.
I would suggest you spend time arranging interviews with agencies, both locally and in London, and apply for mother's help positions initially until you have built up your experience. Good luck.

nannynick Fri 17-May-13 16:58:43

Ever cared for a child on your own - such as babysitting. That is a little bit of experience. Ever helped at a youth group, that is experience with children though not solecharge childcare.

You need a foot through the door, get the interview. Not everyone will want someone with huge amounts of experience so use what experience you do have to convince them to interview you.

What was the diploma you did?

Cathyrina Fri 17-May-13 20:03:53

Maybe try to get an Au-Pair job or Mother's Help first to gain some experience, then go up to a proper Nanny role!

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 17-May-13 20:56:21

It's completely undertsandable that parents want people with experience. Book learning is all well and good, but really childcare is a hands on, practical thing and experience is worth ten times what you might learn on a course.

What experience do you have? Did you do placements as part of your course? Have you worked in a nursery/creche? Babysat?

If your experience is lacking the you need to apply for au pair or mother's help roles initially. Or look for a job in a nursery. If you have some experience from placements etc then you could probably apply for junior nanny roles.

Driving certainly opens up more jobs to you, but in London there are many nannies who don't drive as in most areas it isn't really necessary and just adds an extra cost for parents. If driving is important in the area you live you need to either learn or look at relocating somewhere with a top-notch public transport system.

Isatdownandwept Sat 18-May-13 05:23:03

Look for work in a nursery first, take driving lessons when you are there. Wait a year, then look for a nannying job. It's that simple.

Weegiemum Sat 18-May-13 05:28:56

As I don't drive (medically unfit!) I needed a nanny that did. It was an essential on our person spec when we irst employed someone 7 years ago.

Dc are older now, and du to my medical situation I have a mothers help twice a week. Driving is still essential for me.

Backinthebox Sat 18-May-13 06:08:59

I have a lovely nanny who doesn't drive, but because of this she is on a lower rate than many nannies would want. She is aware she could be paid more and have a wider choice of jobs if she drove, as we live in a very rural area, but she is happy not to drive (she is not young, and has lived in our village all her life and managed.) I am not a public transport snob, and am happy if she takes the kids out on the bus. She takes a taxi for DC1's dancing class if I am out at work. Other than that, school and pre-school are both within a brisk walk within the village, and the kids are happy to scoot to school the days our nanny is in.

It is an unusual arrangement though, and it would be much better if she would just learn to drive!

confusedalways Sun 19-May-13 14:21:03

I was in your position a year ago, applied for every job going and ended up having to move to london for it. It's low paid as I had little experience other than from my qualification and couldn't drive. Now I'm due to pass my driving test shortly and with an extra year experience under my belt I will start applying for better paid jobs. Sounds like you need to lower your expectations slightly and be more flexible. It's doable but you'll have to work hard for it, which is worth it in the end!

ConfusedPixie Sun 19-May-13 23:10:56

Mother's help positions are your friend. I took an AP position in Gloucestershire for a year and they still provide me a great reference. Be willing to move away from home too. I was very lucky to be offered a few roles through here this time two years ago, I accepted one which didn't work out in the end but it was a great experience and three months with that family and my year with the other family gave me the footing to find two part time live-out positions in a place I was moving too on a good salary.

Though saying that, I don't think I would have been hired so readily down here if I had not been involved in childcare settings constantly, through my teens I volunteered at a nursery one day a week and babysat, then worked for PGL for six months which is why I got offered my AP job.

ConfusedPixie Sun 19-May-13 23:12:19

Pressed post too soon, if you can afford it, volunteer in a nursery or try to get bank shifts in a few for a few months first. Go for a low paid position for a year or two for a good reference.

Ihatepeas Tue 21-May-13 13:39:37

I have been a nanny for 15 years and don't drive BUT I nannied in central London.. Is live in nannying in London an option for you?
I think everyone deserves a chance but you really need to sell yourself.. Any babysitting or placement work you may have done means something. You must get written references from as many sources as possible and be prepared to take a lower salary for your first job.
You could always concider a nursery job to gain experience (that's what I did) Everyone has to start somewhere.. Good luck!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now