Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Sick leave

(5 Posts)
meravigliosa Wed 15-May-13 14:31:49

Looking to see how this fits with experience of others ...

Nanny now on fourth period of sick leave since January, which leaves me struggling at work. If it matters, so far as this year is concerned, only one period in any way derives from anything caught from baby. Nanny seems to become very unwell as a result of any respiratory bug, including ones that myself and husband have managed to work through.

I am struggling with a situation where if baby is even mildly ill I risk losing nanny for a week a few days later. I know it is not her fault. There will always be risk of respiratory bugs from working with children, and I am wondering whether it would be reasonable to request her to see a doctor with a view to my getting a report as to whether she is really fit for work with children in the light of her history (which is also not great prior to this year, for similar reasons).

Any advice welcome.

nannynick Wed 15-May-13 14:43:05

Are you paying full salary whilst nanny is off?
How many days in a row do they take off?

Do they realise how difficult it is for you, do they try to come in and stay indoors?

sweetsummerlove Wed 15-May-13 20:36:35

I'm guessing this nanny doesn't have children of her own? I only say this since she probably doesn't appreciate the difficulties it causes.

I am a nanny, and I think you're within your rights to ask her to visit a doctor and receive a note. The amount of time off she's having seems a little excessive. I imagine the very suggestion will make her evaluate her need for time off a little better. HTH? At the end of the day- she has to be fit to work to look after your children, it's not exactly an office desk job..

drinkyourmilk Fri 17-May-13 19:17:38

I used to have a similar problem with my chest and lungs. Took an emergency hospital stay to have asthma diagnosed.
I don't think it could hurt to suggest she goes to the Dr.

jagcv4 Sat 18-May-13 20:27:58

Hi

I am in an unusual situation with my childminder. She called sick as she was suffering from serious illness, continuously for a few days and then she failed to inform as to when she would be returning to work. So we held our son back until she informed us that she is fit and can provide a risk free environment. Now the childminder is threatening to sue us with payments for all those days. Aren't childminders obligated to advice us about their sickness and when they are fit to take back children under their care? Please advice me with your opinions and any standard documentation will help.

Regards

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now