Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

50% retainer when DD is at nursery

(19 Posts)
loveisagirlnameddaisy Wed 15-May-13 10:14:36

Sorry if this has been covered endlessly, I don't usually visit this section of MN.

My DD is starting nursery in Sept and her CM has just given me a change of hours form. She will be picking up DD from nursery 2 days a week at 11.45am and taking care of her until 5pm. She is charging her normal rate for those hours but also charging 50% from 9am to 11.45am.

I've limited experience of CMs as she's been my only one. Is this standard practice?

ThePendant Wed 15-May-13 10:16:27

IME most CM would charge full fees while the child is at nursery as they can't fill their space for these limited hours and so are effectively taking up a space with the CM.

OddBoots Wed 15-May-13 10:28:10

Most if not all CMs around here would charge full fees during a part-day nursery session.

MirandaWest Wed 15-May-13 10:31:44

When I used a CM I had to pay full fees when DS was at nursery.

noblegiraffe Wed 15-May-13 10:33:39

You're getting a good deal, I also pay full fees - your DD is effectively occupying that morning slot.

christinarossetti Wed 15-May-13 10:38:17

Full fees here too - completely standard.

Twinklestarstwinklestars Wed 15-May-13 11:07:18

I charge full if I pick up and drop off, in school hols and if school closes for any reason they would need me to have the child, I wouldn't be on call for sickness though.

moogy1a Wed 15-May-13 12:36:42

Same here. Full fees whilst they're at nursery . In my case it's on;ly 3 hours out of an 11 hour day and I drop off / pick up.
But in the circs. in the OP I'd still charge full.
You've got a good deal.

AuntieStella Wed 15-May-13 12:38:58

It's a remarkably good deal. Full fees, or a token reduction (as consumables aren't being consumed) is the norm.

HSMMaCM Wed 15-May-13 12:48:21

I would charge full fees.

Mosschops30 Wed 15-May-13 12:50:33

Thats very good. My CM will charge full fees and rightly so because its not like she can mind anyone else in those hours

lechatnoir Wed 15-May-13 13:41:15

I charge full fees with a small reduction for cost of meals (ie 50p / snack & £1.25 per lunch missed).

mindingalongtime Wed 15-May-13 13:46:11

You won't be paying for 15 hours nursery so yo are still i pocket by only paying a retainer of 50%, you are jolly lucky to have a generous childminder.

What about school holidays, inset days, closed nursery days, snow days, who ill look after your daughter then?

minderjinx Wed 15-May-13 14:30:00

I agree with everyone else that this sounds more than fair. She will not be able to fill the place for a couple of hours and will have the hassle of a nursery pick up.

DerbyNottsLeicsNightNanny Wed 15-May-13 14:52:58

I pay my CM full fee for the 3hrs that my DS is at nursery. (She doesn't charge a pick up/drop off charge). Personally doesn't bother me as I am no worse of as obviously nursery is free, also means she is available for INSET days etc if needed.

loveisagirlnameddaisy Wed 15-May-13 14:58:57

Thanks everyone. A friend who also uses the same CM concurred with all your comments so I now feel v lucky!

We don't work full time, both part time self employed, so we're fortunate to be able to cover childcare on the other days.

CarmineB Fri 17-May-13 19:25:09

I feel devastated. I do not charge anything while toddler does her 3 hours at nursery daily and I am left hanging around.
My working hours have been cut a third and I am there mainly for drops and pick ups, of her sister too.

I am seriously thinking of quitting.
I find very hard asking for money, and they have not offered it (well, yes, more hours babysitting for them, which is not the schedule I am looking for).

I need your opinion.

C x

christinarossetti Sat 18-May-13 08:38:07

carmineB, it looks to me like you need to renegotiate your position with your current charges' parents and look to get other children on your books.

I would start by checking with other local CMs whether they charge when a 3 year old is at nursery (bet they do!) and adjust your costs accordingly.

CarmineB Sat 18-May-13 10:45:02

Hi Christina, i am a Nanny not CM. My mistake. I opened a thread for similar situation but in a nanny context.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now