Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What childcare would I need, and how do I go about finding it?

(11 Posts)
Imnotaslimjim Tue 14-May-13 20:38:24

I'm getting myself a bit confused, so come here for some help!

I have a 5 yo and 7yo, and I'm starting work 4 days a week next week. I'm looking at a childminder, for 3 hours a day, but will also need them fulltime for school holidays, so wondering what other options would be available to me? Thanks

Twinklestarstwinklestars Tue 14-May-13 20:56:59

Does the school offer after school care/holiday club? Or an after school nanny who can cover hols maybe an option.

nannynick Tue 14-May-13 21:06:38

Summer camps run in some locations.

Using your own (and partners if applicible) annual leave to cover a lot of the holidays.

Childminder sounds a good idea for the presumably after-school care.

calmlychaotic Tue 14-May-13 21:08:04

As a childminder I do that. Have school pick ups and have them full time in the holidays.

Imnotaslimjim Tue 14-May-13 21:25:40

Thank you. Definitaly looks like a childminder is the way to go. Have been in touch with a couple this evening, just waiting for them to get back to me

School doesn't offer an afterschool club, but does offer holiday club for the bigger holidays, so thats something to look into

OutragedFromLeeds Tue 14-May-13 21:30:55

If you're starting next week you've left it a bit late to start looking!

Your options are;

1) Nanny/Nanny Share/Nanny-Housekeeper - Almost certainly the most expensive option, but brings a lot of benefits too. You could try to find an afterschool nanny who will also do holidays, but I think it's unlikely tbh. A nanny-share (share the nanny with another family) or employing a nanny with their own child will bring costs down. If you can afford it employing a full-time nanny or nanny-housekeeper will cover all your childcare plus nursery duties/household duties.

2) Au Pair - Probably the cheapest option. A lot of au pairs will do these hours so shouldn't be a problem. Some of the benefits of a nanny. Need to have room for someone to live-in.

3) Childminder - I think a lot of childminders would offer this, cheaper than a nanny, better quality care than with an au pair, disadvantages if the child is sick/childminder is on holiday.

4) Breakfast/Afterschool club and holiday club - Probably similar cost to a childminder depending on club. Long day for the children. Would be my least favourable option.

Imnotaslimjim Tue 14-May-13 22:26:36

I don't really have a choice Outraged, the job was only offered today! Was originally not starting til end of June/early July but its changed suddenly. I have looked into an au pair but it looks like it isn't the done thing around here, I can't find any advertised!

OutragedFromLeeds Tue 14-May-13 22:38:17

Au pairs generally want to be in London, but you can check 'aupair world' to see if their are any wanting to work in your area.

Good Luck!

Runoutofideas Wed 15-May-13 10:11:47

How about a student nanny - they may be available in the holidays for more hours, and cheaper than an experienced nanny while being available to study in the school day? Any colleges near you?

NomDeClavier Wed 15-May-13 12:05:44

Au pairs generally aren't in the country so wouldn't be specifically looking in your area. It sounds like it could be an ideal solution for you but the timescale will be problematic.

Can you afford a temp nanny for the interim?

Imnotaslimjim Wed 15-May-13 12:54:32

Thanks for the advice. Just found out this morning that the Childrens Centre attached to the school take up to 8yo (website says 5 so I didn't consider it) and they have space, so been and registered them and they start next Tuesday when I do

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now