Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How much to pay nanny/au-pair

(7 Posts)
millenium2000 Sat 11-May-13 12:28:55

I need somebody to look after my children from 8am until 4pm monday to friday, with me still in the house.

From 8 until 9:30 they will be in charge of my 13, 12 and 10 year olds. Once home from the school run they will then have 3 and 1 year olds throughout the day. At 2:30 they will hand the 2 little ones back to me and will then go and pick up the older ones, getting home at 4pm at which point their day is over.

So 8am until 9:30 and then 2:30 until 4pm they will have 3 children aged 10/12/13 and from 9:30 until 2:30 they will have 2 children aged 3 and 1.

How much would you pay?

NomDeClavier Sat 11-May-13 12:56:58

Well that's a nanny rather than an au pair as they'll be working an 8 hour day but you don't necessarily need someone hugely qualified or experienced. The catch for someone looking for an au pair job is they won't be as to go to au pair English classes on that schedule.

Depending on qualifications and experience (which you don't specify) as well as your location, and assuming they'll live in, £175-300gross?

nannynick Sat 11-May-13 13:08:43

Unless the person is living with you, they are not an au-pair.

8am-4pm is 8 hours.

Depending on how much experience you want them to have and you may want them to have the salary could easily range from £7 to £15 gross an hour depending on location.

So think about things in a different way. How much do YOU want to pay someone to do the role? Do you want to have someone who is a trainee, no prior experience and thus who may accept a low wage, or do you want someone experienced in caring for toddlers and is able to manage pre-teens, who may want a higher wage.
Consider if you need someone who drives, has driving experience. Would you be providing the car, or expect them to provide a suitable car. What about the car insurance - if you provide a car, it may be costly to insure someone young. Thus whilst you may save on nanny salary, you may have a high insurance premium.

What is your budget... offer below that, so there is room for a pay rise later on.

Keep in mind the costs of being an employer, such as Employers NI, operating payroll, paying for activities and food whilst nanny is on duty.

If you were to offer £10 gross an hour (for 40 hours per week)... then that is a little under £21,000 gross annual salary and has Employers NI of a bit under £2000. Use PAYE Calculator 2013/14 to get a better feel for the figures. Then factor in payroll admin cost of say £150 (or would you do that yourself), plus activities budget.

ReetPetit Sat 11-May-13 17:13:10

this isn't an au pair role hmm you being in the house is irrevelant.

you need a nanny - depending on your location you are looking at approx £10 an hour and more for London....

blueshoes Sat 11-May-13 18:22:31

Because you need this person to look after the 3 and 1 year old (presumably sole charge) from 9.30 - 2.30, she needs to have childcare experience. The schoolrun with the 10/12/13 year old does not have to be skilled and is fine for an aupair. It is 8 hours but not the usual nanny 10-11 hours. So a sort of mixed role.

Apart from a nanny, an experienced aupair/nanny can do this, particularly if you are in the house during the day. This could be someone who has been in the UK for a few years aupairing and then nannying. Their English would be good already so they don't need English lessons and prefer to work longer hours for the money. They also live out and would share a flat somewhere. Some of the Eastern European aupairs are practically professional aupairs/nannies. They may not have all the childcare qualifications and charge typically less than full nanny rate (£300-400 per week in London for a 10-11 hour ft role? I am not entirely sure). But you can check up their references - I would call to really get the low down.

You would have to pay their tax as they would exceed the threshold. I guess strictly speaking, they would be called a nanny, though I sometimes see them as souped up aupairs.

An important issue is whether you require them to drive.

Karoleann Sat 11-May-13 21:16:38

I would call that a mothers help .

Where do you live? Do you want them to live in and do they need to drive and do you want them to drive their own car or yours?

Cloverer Sat 11-May-13 22:02:14

Depends where you live and how qualified/experienced the person is, but £10 gross an hour is probably a good guess - £7 gross for an unqualified/newly qualified nanny outside London, £14 gross for experienced/qualified nanny in London.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now