Advanced search

would you take on an ill/disabled child?

(17 Posts)
ariane5 Fri 10-May-13 22:43:10

Or would it be too much?

I am considering a cm for either my 3 yo dd or 1 y o ds. Both have health needs which are quite conplex. It would be part time but they do require a lot more supervision than children the same age.

Would it cost more? I considered nursery for ds but he is so clingy and dd is not getting on well at pre school. A childminder seems a better option but I don't know if anybody would want so much responsibility sad

5318008 Fri 10-May-13 22:56:26

yes I would embrace an opportunity to work again with children with illness and/or disability. I don't know about costing more, because each child is unique; it might be if one-to-one (or two, in your case) is best for your children.

I would be asking you for lots and lots of information about the child's condition, research for myself too, and would source training if need be. We would be working very closely to ensure the children's needs were met; I would review my risk assessments and procedures to ensure that they would remain safe.

Some childminders specialise in children with disabilities - the Children and Young Persons part of your local authority will hopefully hold a list. Do give them a ring, they can signpost you.

lechatnoir Fri 10-May-13 23:01:09

In all honesty unless you we're able to pay enough to allow me to dedicate 1:2 or even 1:1 care depending on the level of their needs, I'm afraid I wouldn't. By this I mean I wouldn't turn your DC away because I didn't want to look after a child with SN, but a cm earns a living by taking on multiple children - our 'per child' rate is typically well below NMW because we can & usually do take on a few children at once. If I have all 3 spaces free on the day you wanted & you could pay 3x normal rate then I'd be willing & able to care for your child.
Sorry if this sounds heartless or even discriminatory but unless you find a cm experienced with sn &/or financially able to offer more dedicated care, I sadly think you might struggle but happy to be proven wrong by other posters.

lechatnoir Fri 10-May-13 23:06:12

Actually just thread your original post & the fact your eldest is at pre-school (albeit it's not working out) suggests a lessor degree of supervision & specialist care than I originally thought so actually you may just need a patient, caring cm who doesn't work at full capacity as being in a home environment with a single carer may be enough for then. Being clingy certainly wouldn't put me off but again a cm who doesn't have hoards of children would be best.

calmlychaotic Fri 10-May-13 23:06:23

I would as long as I could give them the attention they needed and still give my other children they attention they needed too. If a child required one to one and for example I needed to take on an assistant then it would cost me more, childminders need to be inclusive though so I would imagine we couldn't charge more for a disabled child.

KatyMac Fri 10-May-13 23:10:02

If you take funding (either 2yo or 3yo funding) you can apply for help either with funding so you can be 1:1 or with someone to work with you to support a child with additional needs

For children younger than 2 you may still be able to access the same funding but generally the childs needs would have to be very significant

At least you can in Norfolk

ariane5 Fri 10-May-13 23:12:46

Dd2 has a lot of needs, type 1 diabetes (requiring 4 inj a day, frequent blood sugar testing, close supervision, treatment if required) she still uses a buggy full time due to a genetic joint/muscle problem and is still not toilet trained (stomach/bowel issues and due to have op soon) ds2 has the same joint prob and some food allergies. I also have 2 older dcs with health issues and need help with the younger ones (particularly ds2 as currently due to dd2s needs he is getting little or no attention).

I have been looking at options to help me cope and some time for either/both with a cm has been suggested. I just didn't know if anybody would want to look after children who need so much help sad

nannyof3 Fri 10-May-13 23:24:09

I think u need a nanny !!

A childminder has a number of children, normally 4/5...

Sounds like ur children need alot of attention, so a childminder isnt ur best bet

KatyMac Fri 10-May-13 23:28:29

Seriously speak to your Early Years team, speak to your social worker

Do you get DLA? or direct payments?

Possibly you would get better advise in the SN section

ariane5 Fri 10-May-13 23:31:03

Yes all dcs get dla and I have only found out today about direct payments so phoned up the children with disabilities team to apply.

I just need either an extra pair of hands or to have childcare for 1 or 2 dcs to lighten the load a bit.

KatyMac Fri 10-May-13 23:33:04

I would go with the childcare

The change of scene would probably be good for the children and the time at home without them could be invaluable

Childminders are resourceful and flexible; see what's around your way

ariane5 Fri 10-May-13 23:47:49

I think it would work out easier all round if ds2 had a few hours with a cm as his needs are less than dd2s.

Currently he is the most miserable, whingy baby ever because he is shoved in a buggy/playpen as I'm so busy with dd2 as she is often ill and its no fun for him. He needs some attention and to play. I feel guilty as I want to spend time with him but I can't and I know he isn't getting all the attention he should.
I'd love for him to be able to sit and play or be read to or to be taken to a baby group or music class, all the things I can't manage to do.

notfarmingatthemo Sat 11-May-13 02:28:13

I think a nanny would be good as he/she could be flexible with who they looked after. If you found the right one they could be with you as the children got older.
Do you have Homestart in your area they may be able to give you some support [[ here]]
A nanny could also do other stuff related to the children cleaning washing of family areas. They will also do things how you want/need them doing

HSMMaCM Sat 11-May-13 06:25:58

I would. I did once before and the local authority early years department funded an extra space, so I didn't need to have as many children.

HotheadPaisan Sat 11-May-13 07:55:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

apotomak Sat 11-May-13 09:04:09

Your best bet is a nanny. (S)he'll be able to dedicate all her attention to your children. I'm a childminder and I wouldn't consider it just because I work at my full capacity (it's our only source of income) and I know I wouldn't be able to give the attention your children need if I have 10 other children in the house at the same time.

ConfusedPixie Sat 11-May-13 09:06:24

Another saying a nanny might be better actually. Only because you'd have the advantage of somebody who could swap between children and do some nursery duties to give you a little less to do around the house. You may even find one who does small amounts of housework, I do for both of my families.

Or a mother's help if the 'workload' isn't too intense and they only have the children sole charge in short bursts, though I'm not too sure how many mother's helps would be confident with injections/treatments for your son as they are generally younger.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: