Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Cm: giving notice without good reason

(10 Posts)
lechatnoir Fri 10-May-13 13:57:54

I'd like to give notice to a family for a number of small reasons which individually aren't big but collectively are getting me down & I'm struggling to know what to say to the parents. Main reason is I want to reduce my workload in the holidays as it's impacting my family too much (I've got someone wanting same days/hours but TTO from September) but I don't want to just say this in case they agree to TTO as there are other issues I'm not happy with inc children being lovely but demanding & don't get on with mine or other mindees hmm

Any ideas or suggestions? They've only been with me 6 months so will undoubtedly be cross but I don't want to ruin either my reputation or our relationship as I will see them at school.

I think the easiest way is to be honest and say that you would like to reduce your workload because of the impact on your family.

I wouldn't mention TTO at all. Keep the notice brief and, well, honest.

And good luck. I find giving notice the hardest part about minding.

ReetPetit Fri 10-May-13 14:13:43

don't worry too much - i know it's embarassing giving notice but sometimes it has to be done! some people are just a pain in the backside and they will probably realise this at some point, hopefully they will get a cm next time who will tell them!! i'm always a bit soft with mine and it rebounds on me as i start to resent them, the little things added together are big enough reason to call it a day with them imo.

you don't have to mention the term time only or give them any option of coming back - just tell them you are giving notice as of whatever date and if they press for reasons do as Blackbird says and just tell them you want to reduce your workload.

Good Luck! you will feel better for it.

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 10-May-13 14:16:04

Decreasing workload would work as long as they were the last to join up. Last in, first out. If you've taken on others since then they may want to know why they have to leave to decrease your workload and not someone who has been with you for less time.

Also if you're going to see them at school etc then you may have a problem in September when they see you've taken on new children, but you can deal with that as and when.

PMTIsMe Fri 10-May-13 14:21:02

I waffled something about the personalities and group dynamics etc not working ie you could say you think younger children/older children/no children would fit in with your home life better. It does need to be a fool proof reason!

ReetPetit Fri 10-May-13 14:21:34

i think though that the wanting the summer off is a fair enough reason in itself. i know it sounds heartless, but once you have given notice, it's not really their business anymore who you take on.
And the decreasing workload, although some may think it should be last in, first out, it could also be, biggest workload (or biggest pain in the butt...) first out wink

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 10-May-13 14:43:13

I don't disagree Reet, I'm just thinking how the conversation with the parents might go.

OP: I'm giving notice because I want to decrease my workload

Parent: Ok, but we've been with you for 6 months, last week you took on 2 new kids, shouldn't they be asked to go if you're over doing it? confused

OP: I'm operating a 'pain-in-the-ass first out' scheme. Sorry.

Parent: shock angry

<relations at school pick-up quite tricky>

lechatnoir Fri 10-May-13 14:51:03

Thankfully I've not taken anyone else on since so decreasing my workload (& worrying about explaining the new family in September ) would be perfect thank you all. Deep breath & wish me luck grin

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 10-May-13 14:56:50

Good Luck grin

MaryPoppinsBag Fri 10-May-13 18:17:48

I gave notice to two siblings who had become a PITA. Lots of little reasons which added up - they came every day early starts, they were demanding, told tales on my eldest all the time and rubbed him up the wrong way, I never knew what time they were to be picked up. And if they blew up they did so spectacularly and were uncontrollable.

Unfortunately I was too honest and gave notice after a horrendous week, of tantrums, swearing, throwing things, hand gestures, hitting and kicking me and running away from me on the school run. (Y1 child) And said I couldn't guarantee the safety of the other children in my care. I was v professional and did not enter into any character assassination of the children. But outlined that behaviour was not something I'd tolerate.

Which they turned back on me saying I couldn't guarantee his safety. And withdrew them and asked for their deposit back. They owe me a months notice pay, which I haven't chased.

In future I would give a vague written letter giving notice. Saying due to family circumstances I am reducing my hours and cannot provide a place.
The mother actually told me by text that I had been looking for and excuse to stop having them. So I should've just been vague. Because it was all my fault and nothing to do with her or her badly behaved children shock

Good luck! I don't regret it.
The dynamic is much better now and my DS 1 breathed a sigh of relief that they weren't coming anymore.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now