Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childcare costs in London

(8 Posts)
Bjxa21 Fri 10-May-13 12:01:59

Hello, please can someone tell me how much I could reasonably expect to pay for a nanny or childminder in London?

I'm trying to decide whether or not to return to work after little one is born, and currently, have worked out that if I use a day nursery, I'd basically be paying to go to work !

It's my first baby, so this is all quite bewildering to be honest.

Any advice greatfully received. Thank you.

NomDeClavier Fri 10-May-13 12:10:53

If you paying a day nursery to go to work isn't viable it's unlikely that for one child a nanny would be cheaper unless you find a share, although that depends on the nursery. A nanny will cost between £10 and £15 gross per hour and you then need to add Employers NI, expenses for playgroups and activities and emergency nappies etc plus transport costs, potentially a payroll agency too. I'm a huge fan of nannies but they aren't a cheap option. You definitely pay a premium to get good quality care in your home.

A nanny share will be around 50% of the cost of a nanny's salary but you'll still need to give them kitty money and sort out payroll etc(although the other family may go 50/50 on that too).

As for childminders it will probably be about 50% of the cost of a nanny but with fewer extras (in most cases).

ReetPetit Fri 10-May-13 12:20:04

which part of London? Makes a difference - for a childminder you are looking at between £50-£70 per day approx....

if you are going to be paying more than you are earning then you should be entitled to tax credits or maybe childcare vouchers, look into this.

Bjxa21 Fri 10-May-13 12:21:11

Thanks for responding, and so concisely.

From what you say, it looks like I shan't be going back... Which won't go down well at work but hey ho!

QuintessentialOHara Fri 10-May-13 12:22:32

Can you find a good local child minder instead?

ReetPetit Fri 10-May-13 12:25:14

won't you get help with childcare costs? if your income is that low, you certainly should in which case you get a large percentage of childcare paid - up to 80% in some cases...

gingeme Fri 10-May-13 12:28:36

It all depends where in London you live. I am å childminder in North London and would charge you £45 per day. I know of childminders that up to £70 a day not far from me. Youll have to do your homework on who is In your area and what Services they provide etc. Good luck with the birth smile.

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 10-May-13 12:38:25

Do you want to go back to work?

If you do, it might be worth 'paying to go' for the short term because child care costs aren't forever and it can be worth holding onto a great job, staying within your career etc.

It can also help to think of it as an overall expense out of your household income rather than just your income. It works out the same financially, but just puts it in a different light.

Do look into childcare vouchers and tax credits as well.

If you're not that bothered about going back to work, stay at home and enjoy your baby smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now