Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What is a fair salary for an inexperienced nanny in London?

(8 Posts)
renovatinghouse Thu 09-May-13 22:02:34

I would like to hire a young nanny (in her 20s) with no prior experience in the UK and without formal childcare qualifications. This is for various reasons, including the need for a native Spanish speaker. What I am not sure is what would be a fair salary for 7-8 hours a day, Mon to Fri, to look after a baby and a 3 y/o only after nursery, so between 4-7 pm. I have received several messages from interested candidates but I am still not sure how to determine a fair salary.

I'd appreciate any advice on this. Many thanks!!

nannynick Thu 09-May-13 22:11:05

Where will they live - how much are typical places they may rent in your area. Maybe that would help determine what sort of salary to offer.

annh Thu 09-May-13 22:22:38

Where do you live - London or a remote hamlet in Scotland? Do you need a driver? Is the post live-in or out? Are you hoping to save money by specifically recruiting with little experience and no qualifications?

annh Thu 09-May-13 22:23:14

Sorry just seen London in your title! Other questions still stand.

renovatinghouse Fri 10-May-13 03:24:38

Thank you nick, I have started to research the cost of rentals in the area - you are right that it helps to know what is a salary that will allow someone to rent in a decent place.

annh, thanks. To answer your questions: I do not need a driver, we don't have a car and the nursery is nearby. The post is live-out preferably, unless we cannot afford it in which case we'll offer a live-in position. And yes, I don't think we can afford an experienced nanny and because I work from home I'm not that worried about having to train a sensible girl which shows common sense, maturity and an interest in working with children. I intend to increase the initial salary as she gains experience and also if she's a good nanny doing a good job. But I said all this without ever having hired a nanny before, so it may all be irrelevant or wrong.

littlecrystal Mon 13-May-13 15:53:40

I paid £1000 per month in a similar situation. Eventually I had to sack my nanny as we found out she stole our food and wasn't engaging to our DC at all. Never again. It was is non expensive South London part.

Novstar Mon 13-May-13 17:04:34

I offered £8 an hour gross for an Italian nanny once, London, who had 1 year's experience in Italy but none in the UK and no qualifications. She was happy to take it as she was being paid min wage at a fast food restaurant. We raised it to £9 gross after a month as she was very good, and then to £10 after 6 months.

My kids were at school at the time so probably less work than a baby/toddler though. Maybe £8-£9 gross to start with and see how it goes?

renovatinghouse Sat 25-May-13 07:36:56

Thank you Novstar, very useful, I think I will follow your advice. The candidates that I have interviewed also work for minimum wage even though they are well qualified in their countries.

littlecrystal, thank you, I suppose that is a risk I will have to take. So difficult to judge from just an interview and some references of people that I don't know personally...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now