Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Holiday with family

(7 Posts)
nannynewo Thu 09-May-13 15:10:00

Hi I have been asked to go away with the family I nanny for this summer. Just wanted some general advice, do's and don'ts and also any stories from people. It will be quite a long time away so want to get as much advice as possible! Thanks in advance.

nannynick Thu 09-May-13 17:37:02

Do not consider it to be a holiday for you.

As far as possible agree in advance what hours you will be working each day. Will you get a day off to do as you wish?

Who is paying for passport, visa, jabs, travel insurance - will this holiday cost you anything?

Travel - are you working during travelling? Do you need to keep the children occupied on the plane/boat? Will the parents be sitting in the same section of the plane as the children - some may decide to fly first class or business class, leaving you in economy with the children.

Accommodation - what is your accommodation, is it shared with anyone such a child. En-suite bathroom or are you sharing?

Overtime - if you will be working more hours than you usually do, agree overtime pay rate plus max hours you will work.

nannynewo Thu 09-May-13 21:08:22

Thank you very much for your reply!!

I have pretty much thought of everything that I need to ask them but so glad you mentioned the visa and jabs.

I really hadn't thought of that!

I definitely have a lot to consider before jumping into a decision.

nannynewo Fri 10-May-13 13:34:53

Any other advice or stories?! just wanting to get as much opinions as possible. Anything else I should ask the family?

bbcessex Fri 10-May-13 13:58:00

Hi there, I have never take our nanny on hols with us but I'm interested in stories of those who have!

Nannynick has covered a lot..and I'd definitely agree, don't think of it as a holiday or a 'bonus' (unless you're getting tonnes of free time).

I'd guess the sort of accommodation will govern a lot of the questions I'd want answers to.. if it's a house or a villa, house, it could be a home from home, if it's holiday apartments or a hotel, it could be harder... If it is a hotel / holiday apartment, I'd add:

meals - will you all eat as a 'family' or will you feed the children then sit in a room with them whilst the parents go out?

Is there any separate space for you to (escape!) switch off / have down time?

swimming - will you supervise the children in/around a pool etc, if so are you a swimmer?

Also look at transport. If you're in the middle of nowhere, will you need a hire car or similar?

On the plus side, it could be a great opportunity to travel a bit and learn / extend a new language though..

LadyHarrietdeSpook Fri 10-May-13 14:48:13

* How many nights babysitting do they want in addition to time during the day? Definitely agree total daily hours.
* If they're giving you quite a lot of time off at various points, do THEY think this is a holiday for you or part holiday for you? Will other holiday time off of your choosing be 'renegotiated' at a later time? i.e. will they try to say, but you had all that sunshine at this faboulous resort, forgetting how many hours you worked.

I would be tempted to say no (I am a parent.)

nannynewo Fri 10-May-13 19:23:00

Thank you so much for the replies! I've definitely a lot to think about. It is all early days yet and nothing is set in stone so I have a lot of time to research and think about the best decision.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now