Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

how many loose nappys = tummy upset?? should i be sending home????

(23 Posts)
makemeslim Wed 08-May-13 13:44:54

Have a 15 month old very happy child , full of normal mischief, teething
( cause her mouth has not stopped dribbling wink), she has had 4 very very loose smelly nappys since 8am, should i be worried?? What would you do??

NarkyNamechanger Wed 08-May-13 13:47:21

I would send home. I'm not a doctor to diagnose the reason for loose bowels so I always send home.

peachypips Wed 08-May-13 13:49:00

My DSs have very loose nappies when teething. My CM always said 'nice teething nappies' in a jokey way when I picked up!
So I'd be a bit peeved if they'd been sent home.

NarkyNamechanger Wed 08-May-13 13:52:40

Peeved or not, I'd still send home. What if it WAS an infectious bug and went round everyone in the setting?

squinker45 Wed 08-May-13 14:06:35

Doesn't sound like an infectious bug if the symptoms include being happy and mischievous. If the child is clearly teething, I think you have your answer - you don't need to be a doctor

peachypips Wed 08-May-13 14:07:15

See your point... But if she always does this when teething then she'd be at home more than in childcare in her first three years!

OutragedFromLeeds Wed 08-May-13 14:09:15

I'd use your common sense tbh.

If they're fine in themselves, normal appetite, not being sick, but teething then it's almost certainly a teething nappy.

If you suspect it could be a tummy bug, then send home.

It depends a lot on what the normal nappies are like, what they've been eating etc. There are loads of reasons for a runny tummy.

OutragedFromLeeds Wed 08-May-13 14:11:23

If you want to cover yourself, you could send a message to the parents and give them the choice of whether to collect or not.

lechatnoir Wed 08-May-13 14:25:59

I had this recently (ie loose nappies) but no other signs if teething despite mum telling me that was the cause & LO being very quiet & clingy and made the mistake of not sending home & passed on tummy bug to my OH and another mindee hmm
I think if LO is otherwise well & happy and obvious signs of teething you should be fine but preempt anything else with a word to the parents that if she is showing any other signs of illness or being off-colour then she'll have to go home.

greenbananas Wed 08-May-13 14:36:43

It's a difficult one. Like lechatnoir I have made the mistake of not excluding because mum said my mindee was "just teething"... but this mindee passed a tummy bug on to my DS (who was very ill with it) and I had to close for a week.

NarkyNamechanger Wed 08-May-13 14:36:55

I think those of us who have been caught out by this (my whole family of five were infected by a baby coming when he had the runs) will always be more cautious. My parents are grateful when I send home another mindee who might make their child ill. I ended up losing two weeks wages due to the above issue and parents all had to find alternative care/take time off work.

ReetPetit Wed 08-May-13 14:41:50

you are being very accomondating imo. From past experiences I have learnt I bad nappy is enough. I have changed enough over the last 20 years to tell a tummy upset. I call/text parent after 1 and as soon as there is another I ask them to collect.

There is no way I'd be prepared to take the risk, I've had my whole family ill with tummy upsets brought in by mindees and then i have to let other families down and lose money too.

If you let parents think it's okay, they will always try and get away with bringing children with upset tummies to you, it's not and you should send home.

ReetPetit Wed 08-May-13 14:43:35

teething, i find is always used by an excuse by parents. my own 2 ds have never been ill with teething and certainly never had bad nappies because of it. i'm not saying every baby is not effected by teething but i do think teething is an over used excuse by parents to bring ill mindees to us.

BabyStone Wed 08-May-13 15:22:07

I would check temperature and other things you would do if you though a child was poorly. Also in the nursery where I work, the policy is, 2 loose nappies, it is a call to the parents and the child has to go home.
If you think it is just teething and you don't mind taking the risk, then call the parents and just let them know, their lg has had a few loose nappies etc etc that way your covered

makemeslim Wed 08-May-13 16:17:33

Thank you all, i'm pretty sure it is teething she's to cheeky in herself, eating and drinking as normal with no temperature flowers

peachypips Wed 08-May-13 16:30:05

Not a bloody excuse. DSs do get runny bums when teething. hmm

peachypips Wed 08-May-13 16:31:59

Aimed at reet

greenbananas Wed 08-May-13 21:11:08

peachy yes it's true that some babies do get runny bottoms and nappy rash while teething, but it's also true that some parents use teething as an excuse not to take time off work when they suspect their child might be a bit ill and possibly infectious. Obviously nobody is saying that you do this smile but I think lots of us have had problems with parents sending children who are blatantly unwell.

peachypips Wed 08-May-13 21:18:16

Thank you green ! Pleading PMT as cause for my unusual rage!

ReetPetit Wed 08-May-13 21:24:53

ok peachypips - yours do, mine don't hmm that better??

i stand by what i said that a lot of parents use teething as an excuse for anything and everything and at virtually any age - even much older toddlers!!

Wickedgirl Thu 09-May-13 16:31:15

I too have had the " it's just teething line" and then caught a sickness bug. I have learned the hard way......runny nappies = phone call to parents and collection

peachypips Thu 09-May-13 20:05:13

Yes, that's much better thank you.

ReetPetit Thu 09-May-13 20:28:50

hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now