Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminder's Club: Toothbrushes??

(33 Posts)
Katymac Thu 18-May-06 20:06:26

A couple of mums have asked me to start cleaning teeth after meals and while I'm fine agreeing to thier request I wondered if there were any issues....

a)How often? after all food incl snacks? (ie 5 times a day)
b)Can teeth be brushed too often?
c)I can't cope with the storage for 14 toothbrushes and separate toothpastes - so do I pick a tothpaste they all use or just brush with water?
d)How do I store 14 toothbrushes hygenically?
e)Assuming 3 mins a child - this is going to take 27mins to do all the children - is that realistic?

I am sure to have forgotten loads of other points you will remember/remind me

I am also assuming I will need the parents to sign a disclaimer saying that if their children get fillings it's not my fault

Any thoughts/advise/help on the subject??
tia
KMc

Katymac Thu 18-May-06 21:43:50

No thoughts at all...you mean I'm going to have to make a decision for myself....I'm not sure I can

jellyjelly Thu 18-May-06 21:50:19

I meant to reply earlier.

1) not that much teeth should be cleaned 3 times a day or the enamel can disappear/wear down. after the meal ie pudding has been eaten give a small piece of cheese to reduce the amount of acid in the mouth then 20 min later brush teeth before bed.
2)teeth can be brushed too much
3)not sure how you would store them, would have to be one toothpaste for all as the flouride in them helps not just water.

Guess you would need to do disclaimer for the fillings etc

Have you heard of the campaign called stop the rot? If you havent do a search and look at the info there. Am thinking about doing it for myself.

Katymac Thu 18-May-06 22:06:53

I like the idea - I am concerned about the practicalities

ComeOVeneer Thu 18-May-06 22:11:06

As a dentist I would say that if the child has breakfast at your house then clean them afterwards. Likewise lunch (if the parent so desires but not strictly necessary), if they have their evening meal with you I wouldn't do them again as the best time would be just before bed incase they have a snack/juice/milk etc at home. I think it shoud be the parents responsibility to send child with toothbrush and paste in their bag rather than you store them. Brushing more than 3 times a day is not of any benefit. HTH

ComeOVeneer Thu 18-May-06 22:12:59

OH and the disclaimer thing I wouldn't bother with, wouldn't hold any water iyswim.

Katymac Thu 18-May-06 22:13:25

So after breakfast and after lunch

OK

I can't depend upon the parents bringing them - they won't

And I can't do some children and not others - so I need to get them all one for my house - which leaves the storage stuff and the time element

Katymac Thu 18-May-06 22:14:36

I need the parents to understand that if the teeth don't get cleaned/don't get clean properly etc it isn't my fault and i won't be held responsible

ComeOVeneer Thu 18-May-06 22:15:07

Well I think if the parents can't be relied upon to bring them they can't be so concerned about their kids teeth. That aside what ages are the children?

Katymac Thu 18-May-06 22:16:47

currently 6m to 3y

ComeOVeneer Thu 18-May-06 22:17:53

Ask the parents to purchase a toothbrush and case for their child and label both , then buy a large tupperware with a lid to store the brushes and buy 2 different childrens toothpastes to give them a choice).

ComeOVeneer Thu 18-May-06 22:18:27

You have 14 at a time .

Katymac Thu 18-May-06 22:19:54

That sounds good

Like the case idea - love the labelling idea

2 toothpaste to give choice is fab

Thanks all for the ideas

Katymac Thu 18-May-06 22:20:49

No I have 9 at a time...14 at a time would be 42mins

I'm only looking at 27mins after each meal

jellyjelly Thu 18-May-06 22:31:35

would ofsted saythat it was hygienic to store them all together? In a normal household obv wouldnt be a problem but different families etc tec.

ComeOVeneer Thu 18-May-06 22:46:26

For a 6 month old who has only a few teeth a full 2 minute brushing is unecessary. TBH 2 mins is the recommended time for an adult with the full 32 teeth.

Katymac Thu 18-May-06 22:49:11

Hmmm - I had been thinking testtube holders - but that wouldn't work with cases

Also there is the cross contamination for the toothpaste

Ok so if we are down to 1 min each it's much more possible

ComeOVeneer Thu 18-May-06 22:53:14

Would like to add as a dentist and someone who has had a childminder in the past (now have a nanny due to practicalities) I would like to say I am very impressed and commend you on this (and I don't mean that in a patronising way at all)

Katymac Thu 18-May-06 22:56:14

I know it sounds silly - but I do try to improve my minding

Toothbrushes might be a way to do this

I have hyigene and storage problems and need to get them sorted before I promise parents anything

OFSTED are so anal about stuff (have you heard about my 27 colours of towels)

cat64 Thu 18-May-06 23:04:35

Message withdrawn

Katymac Thu 18-May-06 23:05:34

Yep - i do work with two other minders tho'

ComeOVeneer Thu 18-May-06 23:08:35

If it would help, I would be quite happy to supply some brushes and pastes to you katymac as we get loads of free samples at work (not cases though).

Katymac Thu 18-May-06 23:10:31

Aww thanks

I need to get the logistics sorted first

Would puttting toothpaste on different brushes be cross contamination?

Does any toothpaste come in a one shot deal?

jellyjelly Thu 18-May-06 23:20:15

not if the paste doesnt touch the brushes or fingers.

Katymac can i ask you to look at my thread and give you thoughts on the incident at nursery thread. I am going into the nursery tomorrow and want as many views as possible before i go.

Katymac Thu 18-May-06 23:28:33

did JJ

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: