Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

cm club - can i get your thought on my ds incident at nursery.

(41 Posts)
jellyjelly Thu 18-May-06 12:32:17

Posted in nurseries as well but would appreciate your view too.

my son who is 3.5 yrs goes to state nursery every morning in the week. He started 4 weeks ago. Bit of background to the nursery, it is wellliked, graded gold star by ofsted. Good nursery to go to.

Nursery does training sessions for parents and the parents can put their children their in their creche for the training. Ds is allergic to eggs so i told them this on the training and said that he musnt eat eggs or anything with eggs in. anyway he was given a chocolate cake and they didnt relise till i asked how he had been, doing etc, eaten and they said they had given him an cake. When i said he shoudltn have eggs there faces changed.

Second thing and this is the bit that i am really annoyed about.

This morning took him all happy into his classroom when i returned i was greeted by an assistant who had a record book and in there was a form saying that xx fell through the grid in the pond, took a huge amount of comforting/tlc after he was found crying. Also said that they had given a lesson in pond safety.

They said and it isnt on the form that he was stuck. I saw his clothes (before i even knew what had happened)we extremely wet like almost machine wet with only a small amount of dry on them.

I kindof feel that they had been given a 2nd chance after the first one and now not sure if i should give them a 3rd and 2 mistakes have been made.

I really dont know what to do and i expressed concern at the welcome evening that a pond with a grid on might not be the safest but i was reassured that it was safe.

He ran to me when he saw me when i picked him up and i got the biggest scared cuddle ever.

Ps - am childminder so i know what they should be doing.

Add a Message

Jackmummy Thu 18-May-06 12:44:38

The egg incident I could forgive.. My friends child, who is 100% vegetarian, has been given chicken cassorole twice. I'm afraid it happens... although never in the nurseries I've worked in. Maybe in the future you could provide the nursery/school with a packet of yummy biscuits so that if they ever have cake your ds also gets a treat. Having the biscuits in the setting on a shelf should also serve to remind them of his allergy.
The pond... I find terrifying. I really am supprised that they have one. However I am over sensitive on ponds as a family member drowned in a pond at 9 months.
Hope you get it sorted.

childminderjanet Thu 18-May-06 12:47:53

Is the grid below the water level in the pond?

jellyjelly Thu 18-May-06 12:53:42

I have forgiven the egg bit but it is very different to caserols i am afraid i can see your point though.

I also gave them biscuits for him that can be shared and i made it clear that i would be happy to buy a packet a week if they needed me too and i said i would provide soemthing for him if other children were having a poarty etc at nursery.

I think the grip is above the water, i havetn seen the pond but my minder friend has said yes you could get stuck but why is he so wet from that.

HenniPenni Thu 18-May-06 13:07:14

Jellyjelly, I would have been wary about the egg incident, what would have happened if he was anaphalactic?

As for the pond, I'd have been appalled, were they not watching him?

jellyjelly Thu 18-May-06 13:23:05

quite simply he would have died, they were negligent. Now i am just really annoyed. Going to call the centre and try and get a meeting. I explained my concerns when he started.

Pennies Thu 18-May-06 13:23:09

Both an issue really - the allergy one kind of speaks for itself. Def talk to them about it in no uncertain terms.

Ponds and nurseries are a BIG no no in my book - I would not send my child to one that had a pond because I'm not 100% sure that the staff can be sufficiently vigilant of the children at all times to guarantee their safety. In the news recently a little girl drowned in one at her nusery. I would be extremely concerned about this and I would take it up with them without question.

jellyjelly Thu 18-May-06 13:24:30

wasnt that a neighbours pond that was next to the nursery.

Pennies Thu 18-May-06 13:28:13

Possibly but there was access via a gate and IMO the issue relates more to the vigilance of the staff which was clearly lacking in that case and in this.

Get them to get rid of the pond. It sounds like a death trap!

BTW I'm not a CM or anything just didn't see your post on the nurseries thread!

Twiglett Thu 18-May-06 13:30:52

what the hell is a nursery doing with a pond .. especially one that isn't gridded over

The egg thing .. you surely filled out a form? Mistakes like that can kill a child ... and should NOT happen

The pond thing .. despicable IMO

call a meeting with nursery manager / head for explanation

Isyhan Thu 18-May-06 13:37:57

Its ridiculous they even have a pond. I wanted a nice pond in the garden but because I was going to childmind I didnt get it. Surely as a nursery the last thing youd put in a garden is a pond.

I think the egg thing just reveals that they are not paying enough attention to the individual aspects of each child and like others have said what if it had been a allergic type reaction. Child died in a nursery near me due to same thing two years ago. Nursery now closed down.

Booh Thu 18-May-06 13:43:44

hello jelly

I would be extremly upset, so I think you should be rightly so.

DD is alergic to strawberries, so much so that we carry an epi pen for her, so if she was given them she would have been very ill. A nursery should be able to cope with a child who has an allergy.

Also I really do not understand why a nursery has a pond? Mine was filled in when DD was tiny!

jellyjelly Thu 18-May-06 13:47:10

they have it because it is highly educational and yes it is gridded in that is how he got stuck, (I still dont understand why he was so wet though)i do feel that they are trying to make light of it and i feel paranoid about it. I know if i go in for a meeting they will try to down play it like the egg incident and yes filled in forms for that twiglett.

mumlove Thu 18-May-06 13:49:26

Hi jellyjelly, Have you thought about phoning ofsted for their views on it? (I would have done, and did when something at my DD preschool wasn't right).
As you said it is the 2nd thing to happen to your son, What where all the staff doing at the time!!
This needs sorting out before anymore things happen.

jellyjelly Thu 18-May-06 13:51:36

wouldnt they just say put it in writinig?

HappyMumof2 Thu 18-May-06 13:53:32

Message withdrawn

vitomum Thu 18-May-06 13:55:14

I would be appalled by both incidents. i would be speaking to the manager and getting total acknowledgement of the seriousness of both events and clear strategies to ensure they did not happen again - if not i would have no further confidence in that nursery.

vitomum Thu 18-May-06 13:55:25

I would be appalled by both incidents. i would be speaking to the manager and getting total acknowledgement of the seriousness of both events and clear strategies to ensure they did not happen again - if not i would have no further confidence in that nursery.

mumlove Thu 18-May-06 13:55:30

I can't remember if I did put it in writing but ofsted went in to investigate the following week, and they didn't even tell the preschool it was me who complained.

jellyjelly Thu 18-May-06 14:08:36

talking now to them

jellyjelly Thu 18-May-06 14:25:00

I am so annoyed, i have a meeting with them tomorrow with the head teacher. She didnt know aboutthe incident at all (knew about the egg one though) she is going to talk to the staff and then inspect the pond she mentioned changing the grid if they can fall through and padlocking the gates in the meanwhile.

looneytune Thu 18-May-06 14:26:05

Sorry mate, just seen your email and read this thread.

Both things are out of order! They knew he had an allergy and said they could cope - this COULD have been very serious! Having said that, I'm not as surprised about this as I am about the pond.

BIG - I would NOT be happy about a pond being at my ds's nursery, no way! We had a lovely fish pond as kids and once one of our friends fell in. It was horrible. They were fine but it was scary!! But this was a family home, a nursery full of kids IMO shouldn't have one at all! I'm all for educational things but not this I'm afraid. The whole idea scares me too much.

I also think that the fact he was FOUND like this sends a message about the staff Sorry, it's just my honest opinion (which I know you wanted) - I personally wouldn't send my own ds back until this had been sorted to my satisfaction!

Good luck with Ofsted. You know what I think of them but I'm sure they'll take something like this very seriously! Let us know how you get on!

looneytune Thu 18-May-06 14:38:08

Oh right, i thought you were talking to Ofsted - misunderstood.

When you go to your meeting, make sure you also ask how come you found out this when you went to collect him? I would have expected a call for something like this!

jellyjelly Thu 18-May-06 14:39:28

She did seem to take it seriously and so she should have dh coming with me tomorrow so she know that we are serious about it.

jellyjelly Thu 18-May-06 14:41:25

didnt think about that, well i dont think i did been thinking the worse as you would, thanks looney. Who else would expect a call?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: