Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Before I give up hope for a nanny...?

(11 Posts)
OrchidFlakes Wed 24-Apr-13 09:01:29

I think the cost may be prohibitive for us but can I just check what a nanny (live out) would expect to earn (gross) on the outskirts of London for 2.5 days (8-615 for 2 days and 8-12 for 1 day). One DS 1 yr old and no housework required, just preparing his food.

I thought it was going to be doable financially but my search is telling me not so I thought I'd ask good ol' mumsnet before I give up hope. thanks

minderjinx Wed 24-Apr-13 09:23:12

Yor expectations may be reasonable in terms of hourly rate, but you need to think who would want/could afford to take a job for only half the week. The answer may well be either somebody with another job already (in which case , can you be flexible with your days/hours to increase your chances of finding someone?) or perhaps somebody studying, with a child of their own, or approaching retirement.

nannynick Wed 24-Apr-13 09:54:19

Salary £250 gross per week perhaps. Possibly a bit less if you do not want someone with much prior experience.

eeyore12 Wed 24-Apr-13 12:33:39

L

eeyore12 Wed 24-Apr-13 12:36:37

Looking at £10 gross per hour you would be looking at around £245 a week. I am a nanny looking to return to work with my little boy and this is a perfect job (hours and days wise) for what I am looking for, either with my son or with him going to my parents for those hours. Don't suppose you are anywhere near Kingston?

Good luck with your search hope you find the childcare you need.

forevergreek Wed 24-Apr-13 12:40:02

I would say £10 gross min outside London.

10.5 x2 =21 hrs + 4 =25

So 250 gross mon. However that is generally for full time and many will ask more per hour as such part time hours. So maybe £11/12 gross.

As an idea most central London nannies are on £12-15 gross per hour for full time hrs, usually £2-3 extra for part time

ghislaine Wed 24-Apr-13 12:45:24

I have a very similar arrangement. My son is 15 mths, and his nanny does 2 x 9hr days at £10 gross p/h. With tax and NICs that works out more like £11.50 p/h that I pay.

I went through an agency and there were a lot of experienced nannies (8yrs+ experience) looking for work at around that rate. My nanny has 20 yrs experience. Don't be put off by the 'all nannies in London are paid £10 net per hour' line you see trotted out here and on other forums. The nanny salary market is a market just like any other, it depends on experience, location, your needs and the candidate's needs. At the moment supply outweighs demand so there could well be a number of candidates wanting to make up a FT position from two roles.

OrchidFlakes Wed 24-Apr-13 15:37:00

Thank you everyone, maybe it could work out for us smile

eeyore we are in Chingford if the commute interests you pm me!

Can anyone recommend an agency in London or serving London?

eeyore12 Wed 24-Apr-13 15:40:18

Hi orchid flakes thanks but is a bit far esp with a little one. Good luck though

OrchidFlakes Wed 24-Apr-13 16:08:59

I don't blame you eeyore, the roads around london can be hellish! xx

NotJustAJob Wed 24-Apr-13 19:22:46

No don't give up hope, you will find someone;-)

I might be able to help, are you near train station and are the days fixed or flexible, which days do you need childcare? I have tried to pm you and for some reason i cant. If you like try to pm me?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now