Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

1 day a week nanny

(2 Posts)
Droflove Tue 23-Apr-13 20:01:01

Hi everyone, I am new to this hiring a nanny thing and have found a nanny who sounds good who can do one of the 3 half days I am looking for (I could use a childminder for the other 2). Ideally I would get a nanny who could do all three days but thats beside the point for this post. I have a couple of questions:

- She is £10/hr. I will only have her for 5 hrs/week, do I still need to handle all her national insurance and tax as her employer? It seems a lot of work for £50/week.
- How much would the gross cost be per hour roughly?
- She has said that for such a small job, she would usually just do cash in hand. Am I right in thinking this is risky in terms of insurance or is insurance an issue for a situation like this?

Basically, I am wondering if this is an totally fine or a risky situation!

Thanks in advance.

nannynick Tue 23-Apr-13 21:00:37

It would not be the nannies only job most likely... so YES you would need to so payroll even with it being a low amount of money. On the plus side there is no employers NI to pay. The nanny however may be taxed using code BR, so do NOT agree a net wage. Tax codes can change, especially if the nanny decides to ask HMRC to split coding between two jobs. Thus you can't know for sure what £10net becomes as a Gross figure.
You could offer £12.50 Gross but you can not guarantee that will be £10net, it may be close though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: