Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

1 day a week nanny

(2 Posts)
Droflove Tue 23-Apr-13 20:01:01

Hi everyone, I am new to this hiring a nanny thing and have found a nanny who sounds good who can do one of the 3 half days I am looking for (I could use a childminder for the other 2). Ideally I would get a nanny who could do all three days but thats beside the point for this post. I have a couple of questions:

- She is £10/hr. I will only have her for 5 hrs/week, do I still need to handle all her national insurance and tax as her employer? It seems a lot of work for £50/week.
- How much would the gross cost be per hour roughly?
- She has said that for such a small job, she would usually just do cash in hand. Am I right in thinking this is risky in terms of insurance or is insurance an issue for a situation like this?

Basically, I am wondering if this is an totally fine or a risky situation!

Thanks in advance.

nannynick Tue 23-Apr-13 21:00:37

It would not be the nannies only job most likely... so YES you would need to so payroll even with it being a low amount of money. On the plus side there is no employers NI to pay. The nanny however may be taxed using code BR, so do NOT agree a net wage. Tax codes can change, especially if the nanny decides to ask HMRC to split coding between two jobs. Thus you can't know for sure what £10net becomes as a Gross figure.
You could offer £12.50 Gross but you can not guarantee that will be £10net, it may be close though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now