Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Giving notice - CM

(8 Posts)
NewCM2012 Mon 22-Apr-13 12:04:52

Hi

I am having to give notice for the first time. I will be giving 8 weeks notice so mum has plenty of time to find someone else, but what do I say/write down?

We are just not compatible in that she gives short notice which is fine, but then constantly changes things and her time keeping is awful... I have therefore found someone else who will be set hours every week.

Any advice would be great. Thanks!
L

NickNacks Mon 22-Apr-13 14:21:58

I am lurking because I need to do the same. I've had the child quite a while though and tons of small things are adding up to me wanting to end our contract.

MaryPoppinsBag Mon 22-Apr-13 16:41:00

What notice period does your contract say?

If you need the money I would be reluctant to give notice so far in advance. As the parent may up and leave before notice period is up and end up not paying you.

I gave notice to someone due to behaviour reasons stating I could not guarantee the safety of the other children in my care whilst their child behaved in that way. (Throwing stuff, tantruming, swearing, giving me the bird running off on school run and hitting and kicking - DC was in Y1).

I was prepared to work the 4 weeks notice. I would have put measures in place such as using a pushchair for my DC (3) and reigns for my youngest mindee (3) or get a relative to take my kids to school. So I could ensure their safety. But they wouldn't be fair long term as both walk nicely to school and it felt like a step backwards.

They however flipped it round and said because I couldn't guarantee the safety of their child they were removing him immediately and could they have their deposit back. Err no you cannot!

They had paid that weeks money but didn't pay the notice period of 4 weeks. Which was tough going for us as you get used to the money.

Although I was entitled to that money I chose to leave it as they can apparently be quite nasty people. I can live with being blanked but don't want any abuse which I might have got had I asked for the £600.

I wanted to do the right thing and give adequate notice as I knew they wouldn't get another CM who did their school. In the end they asked a family member who they pay slightly less than they paid me. So they ditched me.

minderjinx Mon 22-Apr-13 18:25:20

The trouble is if you say you are giving notice due to the messing about and poor timekeeping she could promise to do better, and might even do so, but it seems unlikely she would keep it up if it is her nature. If you are decided she must go I wouldn't give a reason, or something very vague such as change in your personal circumstances. You also don't want her taking offence, so I would avoid making it seem that it is a personal issue.

NewCM2012 Tue 23-Apr-13 10:18:05

I don't need the money and my new charge starts beginning of July hence saying 8 weeks. I feel a bit sorry for her but it's just not working. Plans for this week have already changed 5 times and it's just not worth the hassle.

I'm going to write letter to say 4 weeks notice... can anyone help with wording?

Thanks
L

badgerhead Tue 23-Apr-13 14:29:52

I would go along the lines of:
Dear
I am writing to advise that I am giving you four weeks notice to end the contract between ourselves, therefore .......'s last day of care will be....

Yours sincerely

I wouldn't worry about giving any reason so that then there is no come back on you with nastiness etc.

MaryPoppinsBag Tue 23-Apr-13 16:09:57

Yes yes! To not giving a reason.
I wish I had done that.

Parents are sometimes under the impression that we are like schools or nurseries and have to accept any kind of crap.

Thankfully we don't and can give notice for poor behaviour (parent or child!)

NewCM2012 Tue 23-Apr-13 16:51:13

Thanks, I think she thinks I'm her slave. Have just texted to ask if I can have her tomorrow as well and take her to ballet... er no! Will hand her the letter on Friday once I've had this week's money as it will pay for a trip to Peppa pig world which DD is desperate to do :D

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now