Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Has Elizabeth Truss actually met any real toddlers or Childcare providers??

(17 Posts)
glenthebattleostrich Mon 22-Apr-13 08:12:20

Just been listening to the news and hot on the heels of Ofsteds latest attack (to many providers are 'only' satisfactory) comes Truss saying that too many toddlers are running around not being productive.

When is this idiotic government going to realise that children learn through play. And running around playing is actually very good for them.

So angry I am seriously considering giving up.

glenthebattleostrich Mon 22-Apr-13 08:12:53

Kids just arriving, so off to take them for an unproductive run about at toddler group!

HSMMaCM Mon 22-Apr-13 08:25:40

I thought we had just been told it's good for children to get bored.

She's welcome to cone and spend a day with me, to see what my mindees learn while they're running around.

MrsHoarder Mon 22-Apr-13 08:30:03

Also I would send ds to a childminder to get a home environment for him whilst i'm at work. I don't provide wall to wall structured activities for him at home either.

I can see a value in ofsted putting this in their reports for parents to compare childminders on, but they should be allowed to choose what environment they want. Tory ideals of free market and choice for parents is looking like ballocks now.

annh Mon 22-Apr-13 12:45:42

Apparently she has two children herself - presumably perfectly-behaved.

NorthernLurker Mon 22-Apr-13 12:48:18

Liz Truss is quite simply an idiot. One who used a nanny and doubtless had her on a continuous time and motion study.

glenthebattleostrich Mon 22-Apr-13 16:06:13

I only hope that these muppets get voted out before they can do too much damage to our children. Today whilst pointlessly running about my toddlers spotted leaves coming out from buds (our project this week is spring), did counting (the 19 month old counts to 10 and the 3 year olds to 20), practiced taking turns, practiced road crossing and squeezed in a bit of a bear hunt. Yep we are all bloody failures!!

HSMMaCM Mon 22-Apr-13 16:47:15

Is that all? grin

Poledra Mon 22-Apr-13 16:52:18

Umm, excuse me for no doubt being a fool but why exactly does a toddler need to be productive? Isn't that what being a child is about - not having to worry about your 'productivity'? Only productive things my toddlers did (whilst in my care -0 my CM probably did better grin) were coughs and sneezes and other bodily functions...

glenthebattleostrich Mon 22-Apr-13 18:08:29

I know, I'm slacking. I should have had them hoovering and reciting their french verbss, though I generally save that for a Tuesday grin

Tanith Mon 22-Apr-13 18:21:56

I'm actually glad she has said this. It demonstrates beyond a doubt her ignorance of Early Years and child development

It will be very interesting to see if Ofsted sticks to its guns regarding free choice and child-led provision.

SouthernPolish Mon 22-Apr-13 21:40:29

That Truss woman is a complete Fuckwit!
She can shove all her ridiculous 'French' ideas up her arse.
Wish she'd just sod off and leave us all alone.
:-(

SouthernPolish Mon 22-Apr-13 21:43:49

I don't care if my previous comments get deleted - it felt good to 'offload'.
:-)

sunshinenanny Tue 23-Apr-13 17:02:10

This woman does seem to be talking a load of rubbishhmm and all the talk of childcarers having to be better educated is frankly insulting to the many excellent nannies, childminders and nursery nurses who are good at their jobs but don't have degrees. Young children learn all the time, Through play, by example and from interest in the world around them. Too many proffessions have been pushed down the university route to the detriment of their clients in our case ; young children.

Sorry about the soapbox but I feel quite angry at these idiots keep interfereing in how our children are cared forangry

I did sign an online petition about the increased ratio of children to adults idea!

Limelight Tue 23-Apr-13 17:03:41

She's on Newsnight tonight apparently.

sunshinenanny Tue 23-Apr-13 17:22:29

Should be interestinghmm I don't think!

HSMMaCM Tue 23-Apr-13 18:00:56

We had an unproductive day today. Just faffed around at the park. The children didn't learn any manners while they ate their picnic, they didn't learn to take turns on the slide, they didn't learn anything with their magnifying glasses, we didn't compare different plumage on birds, etc, etc, oh no ... it was a very unproductive day smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now