Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

what do you charge for (extremely) unsocial hours?

(11 Posts)
chemicalsister Wed 17-Apr-13 14:58:23

Hi, please can anyone tell me how much you would charge for very antisocial hours extra bit of work for lovely mum of already childmindee.
She wants me to have her little toddler from 4 am till 950/ 1030 so she can go on business trip. I can fit it round my existing kids and little one naps and sleeps like angel for me but would it be double hours or more. Am in London.
Thanks.

Twinklestarstwinklestars Wed 17-Apr-13 16:48:39

I personally would ask to have them overnight for the 2 nights to stop them being disturbed and if an existing mindee I charge £35 a night but I'm in yorks, I would charge a night rate then normal hours from waking-7pm ish.

chemicalsister Wed 17-Apr-13 17:11:24

Apparently they are not a great sleeper at home with their family, waking few times in night, so I am not keen to have the entire night. Plus our bedrooms are already full, small 2 bed house with 2 my own kids crammed in one bedroom. Dad or mums usually wakes her at 600 to drop to me so would not be that much earlier.
I appreciate the suggestion, helpful of you thanks.

Also they only live 2 mins walk away so should be v quick by car.
I am thinking my new "night rate" should be double normal rate maybe? Or 50% more? ?

Little one could go back to sleep hopefully here at 5 or just have nap earlier and longer. And in the evening she could sleep in our living room on our toddler bed.

It is gonna kill me getting up at 430 to get ready for her coming, so don't want to charge to little. But don't want to be unfair, as they really are such a nice family.

Bit concerned if am too cheap, they may want to do it regularly. Will have to ask. Don't mind it if only occaisionally. Money would be useful to pay all those bills.

What you reckon .. Night rate is double or 40%

chemicalsister Wed 17-Apr-13 17:16:44

... Oops too soon.... Meant to say 40 or 50 or 30 % more?
Have no idea.

Thx.

HSMMaCM Wed 17-Apr-13 17:21:07

I charge double time for overtime, but would probably prefer to do this as an overnight at £70 per night weeknights and £140 per night weekends.

Seb101 Thu 18-Apr-13 09:41:01

I'd charge double for such unsociable hours. I think that's perfectly reasonable. Any less and it's really not worth getting up in the middle of the night! Lol I think your a star for even considering it! But I think your right about being too cheap and then having everyone asking you to do weird hours. grin

ArbitraryUsername Thu 18-Apr-13 09:45:36

As a parent, I'd be expecting to pay quite a lot for you having them all evening. Double your usual rate doesn't sound in the least bit unreasonable.

drinkyourmilk Thu 18-Apr-13 11:22:01

I think it depends what your normal rate is.

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Thu 18-Apr-13 17:07:02

Double your usual rate.

ChunkyPickle Thu 18-Apr-13 17:11:34

I think double sounds entirely reasonable for the unsociable hours (hell, I'd consider 6am pretty unsociable to be honest!). Hopefully they'll just bundler her down in pyjamas and you can snuggle her onto the toddler bed for a bit longer.

Nicknamefail Thu 18-Apr-13 22:22:02

I would expect to pay my childminder double for these hours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now