Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Need to rant -

(12 Posts)
SaveWaterDrinkMalibu Tue 16-Apr-13 09:00:14

First day back at work today as a nanny ( only work term time) - mum boss has left the last 2 weeks washing to be washed and put away, the kitchen is stacked with about 4 piles of plates/bowls.

Been told to stay in get most washing done and a tidy kitchen, grrrr am so angry

almostanotherday Tue 16-Apr-13 09:08:43

Do you charge extra for housework? I enquired about a nanny and got told they would only wash and dry the children's clothes they are looking after, same with washing up.

SaveWaterDrinkMalibu Tue 16-Apr-13 09:10:05

My contract includes tidying up after the children and washing their clothes each week

LazyMonkeyButler Tue 16-Apr-13 09:12:29

Is washing up & laundry for the whole family part of your job normally? Also, what age are the children? If pre-school, surely your priority is caring for them not doing laundry.

Hard to tell if it's an unfair situation without knowing what forms part of your job and what doesn't. Nanny to me means childcare.

LazyMonkeyButler Tue 16-Apr-13 09:13:32

x-posted. Is all the laundry the childrens?

SaveWaterDrinkMalibu Tue 16-Apr-13 09:15:26

It's meant to be for the children only - but their washing seems to creep in.

I look after a 4 year old who goes to school all day and a 15 month old

SaveWaterDrinkMalibu Tue 16-Apr-13 09:18:01

They have a dishwasher which I load/unload - they never do, can turn up on a Monday and the dishwasher still has Fridays stuff in it (clean or dirty) and the weekend stuff is stacked in the sink and on the side

JamInMyWellies Tue 16-Apr-13 09:24:20

I used to work for people like this. It drove me round the bend. They never understood how irritating it was.I would leave everything clean and tidy then come back to an absolute tip and then spend the entire day cleaning up after them. I feel your pain.

Seb101 Tue 16-Apr-13 09:39:47

How utterly lazy of them! Whatever your duties or contract says re washing and housework, it's only when your on duty! When they have kids it's their job! I too have worked for people like this and it drove me crazy. From my experience I just had to put up with it because whatever I said things never changed. On some occasions i actually sorted through laundry and left there's in a pile on floor, or left last nights dishes exactly where they were. They got the hint! Lol. Why people would leave dishes all weekend is beyond me. And leaving two weeks of washing while your off is bone idle! I'd talk to them about it and make clear what your duties are. If they don't listen, just don't do the other stuff- leave it exactly as they left it. Good luck, it's a tough situation. X

LazyMonkeyButler Tue 16-Apr-13 09:44:28

I would be very tempted to do some of the childrens laundry and wash up just enough clean bowls & plates for the children to use and leave the rest.

Sounds like they are confusing the roles of a housekeeper and a nanny!

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Tue 16-Apr-13 13:22:37

That would drive me round the bend! It is lazy and dirty of them and they are abusing their positions as your boss.

I second what LazyMonkeyButler says.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 16-Apr-13 16:33:35

doing childrens washing - fine -doing 2 weeks worth of dirty clothes is not-couldnt they have put a load on last night/when they got home

the plates would bug me and i would have to say something

friend had the same problem and in the end she literally washed up anything she used for kids and left the rest and didnt touch the dishwasher either

your employers seem awful sad why do you stay?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now