Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

really basic questions about when and how to find a nanny

(7 Posts)
minipie Mon 15-Apr-13 20:03:01

I'm on mat leave with dc1 and will need a nanny from October/November time.

I'd like to employ a nanny either outright or nanny share if I can find someone local/compatible to share with.

I'm in SW London and will probably be looking for someone 4 days a week.

some really basic questions:

- when do I need to start looking?
- is it likely to be easier to find someone live out or live in? I'd prefer live out but will consider live in if it opens up the options.
- how do nanny shares work - do I find the nanny first, or the other family first?
- how much does it add to the cost to use an agency?
- what are 'normal' nanny hours and how difficult is it to find someone to work longer hours (I work in the city and not sure what hours I will be able to negotiate with my employer just yet!)

OutragedFromLeeds Mon 15-Apr-13 20:38:42

when do I need to start looking?

I would start looking July/August, about 3 months before you want them to start. Bear in mind that September is the month when lots of nannies/nanny jobs come up (because of children starting school), so you may find it a bit slim pickings looking in Oct/Nov. Having said that, nanny jobs are few and far between at the moment, so possibly not going to be an issue this Oct/Nov!

is it likely to be easier to find someone live out or live in?

Probably easier to find someone live-out. The benefits of live-in are longer hours/babysits/overnights if you need any of those and a bit of saving on costs.

how do nanny shares work - do I find the nanny first, or the other family first?

Up to you. If you can afford to pay the nanny by yourself for a bit then find the nanny first. That way you can pick exactly who you want without having to compromise with another family. If you can't afford a nanny by yourself, find the other family first. If you want to save the hassle of finding/interviewing a nanny, look for a family who have already recruited one. You can have a look on thenannysharers.co.uk and nannyshare.co.uk to find other families/families with nannies.

how much does it add to the cost to use an agency?

It varies, but agency fees can be huge. Ring a few agencies and ask them.

what are 'normal' nanny hours and how difficult is it to find someone to work longer hours.

Normal hours for live-out nannies are 8am-6pm. Many start earlier or later, but you'll struggle to find someone who wants to start earlier and finish later than that.

Live-in nannies typically work an 11/12 hour day so 7/7:30am - 7/7:30pm, plus one or two babysits a week inclusive.

nannynick Mon 15-Apr-13 20:38:49

- when do I need to start looking?

You could start putting out feelers now... some nannies may be in an existing job and will know that come September they will be job hunting, or they may have a long notice period.
Certainly start seriously looking for someone come say June/July time, as people may be available for interview over the summer holidays.

- is it likely to be easier to find someone live out or live in? I'd prefer live out but will consider live in if it opens up the options.

Not sure either is easier than the other.

- how do nanny shares work - do I find the nanny first, or the other family first?

Pass... I would look for the family first as you need to know what hours, place of work, how many children, budget available.

- how much does it add to the cost to use an agency?

Can be several thousand. May certainly be a few hundred. Contact agencies for their fee structure.

- what are 'normal' nanny hours and how difficult is it to find someone to work longer hours (I work in the city and not sure what hours I will be able to negotiate with my employer just yet!)

Not sure there is a 'normal'. Some nannies work a 60 hour week, others do less. Personally I do 40 hours over 4 days... some days I do 12 hours, others I may only do 7 or 8 hours.

OutragedFromLeeds Mon 15-Apr-13 20:41:15

*I meant 'many start earlier or finish later'

Jacksterbear Tue 16-Apr-13 15:43:14

Just wanted to add:

Childcare.co.uk is a brilliant website for finding a nanny IME.

It is possible to find nannies willing to work a longer day; I have mine 7.30a.m. - 7.30p.m.

Good luck.

eeyore12 Tue 16-Apr-13 16:10:24

Hi where abouts in sw London are you? I am a nanny currently on mat leave looking to return to work sept/oct time. My little one will be 1 beg nov. I was retuning to my old post but my boss no longer wants me to return with my son so I am looking for a new post. I live in Surrey but close to sw London area. If you want to chat more please email me at amanda@stoneleighbabymassage.co.uk

minipie Wed 17-Apr-13 10:52:46

thanks everyone, sorry to have posted and run. really helpful am reading through and will check out those sites.

June/July eek! so I need to start to negotiate my hours with my boss now it seems.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now