Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How much do you tell your charges about your life?

(5 Posts)
ConfusedPixie Fri 12-Apr-13 21:03:51

My charges have started asking a lot of questions about my DP and housemates recently. I don't mind answering them but I'm just wondering how much other child-carers tell their charges.

Not sure what spurred on their questioning, but they're really interested, a couple of weeks ago my 8yo was genuinely concerned that she didn't know what DP looked like. Today I've had my 4yo asking me what DP's favourite film is ("Pixie, what's his favourite film?" x100 before oving onto "Pixie... is his favourite film Batman?" hmm) Even my 2yo wants to know where I am going home to and where my other charges live!

quoteunquote Fri 12-Apr-13 22:37:51

Sounds like normal curiosity, they just want to build a picture of you.

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 12-Apr-13 23:51:06

Completely normal I think and I answer all their questions honestly.

They know all the members of my family, where they live, what jobs they do, what toys they have, what DVD's they have, what colour their cars are, what their religious beliefs are (!) etc. They know all about all the pets I've ever had, where I went to school, what my teacher's names were etc etc etc

I've brought my mum to work a few times and they've met two of my friends who have been staying with me (all with parents consent of course), they always ask to meet my dad and sister too, but that isn't as easy to organise so haven't done that. They're desperate to come to my house, but we haven't done that either yet as it's quite far away.

Oh and they always look at my holiday snaps too!

I imagine there would be some families that wouldn't like it, so obviously wouldn't do it then.

ConfusedPixie Sat 13-Apr-13 09:11:13

I know that it is a normal thing really, it's just thrown me as I've worked with them for eighteen months now and it's only in the past month or so that any of them have expressed any interest in my life outside of them (apart from my landlords cat, they've known about him for a while!)

So pretty honest then, that's good. I am as honest as possible, they know that they can't meet my family or come to my house, I just wasn't sure how much is normal to tell.

grabaspoon Sat 13-Apr-13 09:19:00

I have been in my job 3 years and have a 5 year old charge. Dc knows and has met my mum/sister/pets has stayed at my house, knows that my dad died when I was younger. Has seen photos of me when I was younger. If he asks and its age appropriate then I tell him bits about me :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now