Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny questions.

(14 Posts)
lizzieannejames Fri 12-Apr-13 20:17:38

Hi all- we are looking at getting a Nanny. We are considering a Nanny share or live in Nanny at the moment- but was wondering if the budget we have could stretch to a live out nanny. We can only really afford to pay £11 gross per hour (ideally £10) for a 10 and half hour day- we are in East Croydon and the hours would be 07.45am-6.15pm T-T looking after a 3 year old and a then 1 year old.

We are going to offer six weeks (paid) leave, plus expenses- fuel if they are a driver and trips out etc.

Is it unreasonable to expect a nanny to wash children's food dishes and do some laundry/make their beds? We do have a cleaner who does the "heavier" jobs but obviously there are little things that will need doing daily.

Thanks if you can help.

lizzieannejames Fri 12-Apr-13 20:18:30

Sorry meant to add- the 3 year old is at nursery 2x a week.

iluvkids Fri 12-Apr-13 20:34:04

Yes a nanny can do all you list...

Wash children's dishes.. Do children's laundry and make children's beds

Tidying as they go... And keeping children's areas tidy etc

iluvkids Fri 12-Apr-13 20:38:12

How soon do you need a nanny?

bonzoed Fri 12-Apr-13 20:52:30

It might be worth asking this question on the Mumsnet Local page for Croydon.

nannynick Fri 12-Apr-13 21:39:07

T-T? Term time? If so, what about school holidays and how are dates determined (as if you are a teacher for example, your school term may differ to what your pupils do).

iluvkids Fri 12-Apr-13 21:42:58

Think TT is Tues to thurs

culturemulcher Fri 12-Apr-13 21:49:21

I think most nannies consider keeping the areas they use most (kitchen, playroom / sitting room / children's bedrooms) clean and tidy part of their job.

Our (wonderful) nanny didn't do the children's laundry as it was easier for us to do it all together with ours, but she did iron DH's shirts if she had any spare time (e.g. when the DC napped) which was fantastic.

lizzieannejames Fri 12-Apr-13 22:28:09

Yeah T-T means Tue-Thur.

Not needing anyone for 8 weeks yet!

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 12-Apr-13 23:57:08

It's on the lowish side, but within a reasonable range I think. Advertise and see who applies. I think you'll be inundated with applicants. How many will be suitable is the issue. What level of experience/qualificatoins are you looking for?

Also, just as an extra point I wouldn't include 'expenses' in the same breath as 6 weeks holiday as though that's a perk of the job. Of course you will pay expenses, it would be complete madness to suggest otherwise!

iluvkids Sat 13-Apr-13 02:18:16

Im looking for live in.. For about 11 wks time

nannynick Sat 13-Apr-13 04:51:16

6 weeks holiday is not much more than minimum entitlement (5.6 weeks) so also not really a perk.

Advertise it, see who applies. It won't suit everyone as it is 3 days a week but some will be interested. What level of experience someone will have will vary.

Petitmonde Sat 13-Apr-13 15:31:46

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

fraktion Sat 13-Apr-13 18:10:17

Petitmonde I'd avoid linking to your website until someone's proofread it.

OP it's a fairly standard sounding job, but you'll need to be quite clear on the kind of applicant you want as the salary is lower than a qualified and experienced nanny will expect. It does sound like a good, standard job though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now