Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Just wondering....anyone working as cm in another setting (please read)

(13 Posts)
MUM2BLESS Fri 12-Apr-13 16:38:58

I am a childminder.

Is anyone doing cm from a building (not their home)?
What made you do this?
What are the pros and cons
Do you need to have an assistant?
Whats it like financially?
Is it now know as a day care centre?
Can you still care for all ages?
What else do you need to consider

Comments welcomed

nannynick Fri 12-Apr-13 17:14:02

I know a childminder who tried to open a 'like childminding' setting but Ofsted refused to register it that way, it had to be Childcare Non Domestic (wording Ofsted uses on their 2012 inspection report), so a nursery.

They changed due to:
Their own children were getting older and did not want little children in their home.
Their home was becoming more and more like a nursery, they wanted their lounge back for the adults and a room for the soon to be teenagers.
They were running out of space, they were at maximum capacity and still had new enquiries every month.

They now do before and after school care, do all day creche/nursery and have recently been approved for deliverying funded education (no the approval for that does not automatically come when you change registration type, as it is LA decision) so have a separate pre-school. They run from a building with two large rooms, one is the before/after school club and is pre-school, the other room is the creche/nursery.
They have children on contract as well as ad-hoc PAYG, the PAYG service has proved popular and it is useful for days when the nursery is low on children - as staff are paid regardless of how busy they are.

Quite costly to setup, takes a while for the registration during which time there are building related costs, including business rates. Getting a good deal from the landlord is cruical to avoid too much paying for time when you are not having any children.

Financially setup as a limited company, so you can order their accounts like you can for many nurseries.

The ex-childminder is now, some 18 months later, starting to get more free time. Whilst being manager/owner, they have a good team of staff so do not need to do quite so much handson management. Keep in mind that if making this change, you are no longer in the adult:child ratio as the manager.

MUM2BLESS Fri 12-Apr-13 17:56:53

Nice one nannynick. Very useful info. Very Grateful!!

So its really running a day care rather than cm.

Is it the building that determines what your doing (what its called) or the amount of kids?

Do you have to have an assistant if your not in your own home? or do it depend on the amount of kids you have?

What training do I need to take if I wanted to take on an assistant in the future? How much do asst get paid?

Any one done childminding and gone to do use it in another area?

Sorry so much questions grin T H A N K S !!!

nannynick Fri 12-Apr-13 21:33:37

One factor is the building, it can only be childminding if the building is residential and someone lives there (though need not be the minder themselves). So as soon as it is a commercial building, it won't be a childminding registration.

surfandturf Sat 13-Apr-13 08:12:44

Sorry to gatecrash your thread OP but this is an idea I've also been toying with.

NannyNick Do you gave to have a specific qualification to be a 'manager'? I.e level 3 or EYP?

MUM2BLESS I work with an assistant now (in my own home) and I needed to ensure she was first aid trained, safeguarding training (my LA specify this so may not be compulsory in your area - but probably good practice anyway), CRB, E2 form completed for Ofsted (I think that's what it's called) and I have to undertake regular performance reviews and document them / identify and arrange any training needs. I'm not sure if this would be sufficient when working on non-domestic premises though. I would speak to your local early years advisor - that's what I intend to do!

There was a pre-school local to me which closed down last year (I believe due to funding issues) it was also very niche as they were Spanish speaking ( to my knowledge there is not a big Spanish community in this area?!!!) and I was considering if I could run my business from those premises as it's likely they would be ideal and should be no problem getting relevant permissions etc as it has obviously been run as this type of business already...

nannynick Sat 13-Apr-13 10:41:57

Yes, need level3 and experience, though how the regulator determines suitability exactly I can not locate. Anyone found any checklist for things inspector looks at when determining suitability.

nannynick Sat 13-Apr-13 10:46:32

I think as of Sept 2012 Ofsted stopped doing suitability decisions, instead leaving that to owners, following what is in the EYFS documents. So have a look through EYFS framework for details of staff suitability checks.

MUM2BLESS Sat 13-Apr-13 14:17:43

Thank you so much for your comments

MUM2BLESS Sat 13-Apr-13 14:18:41

Do need training to have an assistant? How do you find an assistant?

nannynick Sat 13-Apr-13 19:16:02

Taking on an assistant comes up on here fairly often, use Advance Search (keyword assistant, start date 01/01/2013, this topic only) to find other threads this year about Assistants which may be of help to you.

I would doubt YOU would need additional training to take on an assistant. The assistant may need some training, such as First Aid. Having an assistant does not always increase number of children you can mind.

Local ads I expect are useful to find an assistant, such as at local shops, school newsletter etc.

Look through EYFS framework for things relating to assistants, such as:
3.24 Childminders, and any assistant who might be in sole charge of the children for any period of time, must hold a current paediatric first aid certificate.
3.14 Children may be left in the sole care of childminders’ assistants for 2 hours at most in a single day. Childminders must obtain parents and/or carers’ permission to leave children with an assistant, including for very short periods of time.

Google "The use of assistants by childminders on the Early Years and Childcare Registers" to find an old factsheet which may be of some help.

MUM2BLESS Sat 13-Apr-13 22:09:25


MrAnchovy Mon 15-Apr-13 12:22:25

Here are the requirements for childcare that isn't childminding.

The main point is that you must have two people on site at all times any child is there (even if it is only one child!) one of which must have a relevant Level 3 NVQ.

Ratios work differently and are generally higher.

The information about childminders working with assistants is not relevant.

Suitability basically means an NVQ 3 and not unsuitable (e.g. due to prior record with social services).

You will also need planning consent for using the premises for childcare.

I strongly reccomend the Pre-school Learning Alliance for further information and support.

MUM2BLESS Mon 15-Apr-13 21:40:54

Nice one MrAnchovy smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now