Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

how to find very part time childcare -

(12 Posts)
tourdefrance Fri 12-Apr-13 09:48:51

I would like to find someone to take DS1 to school and DS2 to nursery one or two mornings a week and pick up, take home and give tea one or two afternoons a week. It would prob be one morning and afternoon at first (not nec on same day) but may want to increase or have option of someone to ask if more needed.

If my parents or in-laws were local this is the sort of thing I would ask them to do, but I don't have any local family and all my friends have small children of their own to deal with at that time of day.

Nursery and school currently provide childcare between 8 and 5.30 Mon-Thurs, and the DC go to after-school club / longer nursery day 2 x week, but on these days they are very tired when they get in. School provide toast and fruit which means DS1 is not hungry enough to eat when he gets in, but starving by the next morning.

How might I find someone interested and capable to do this? Advert in post-office window perhaps? How would you ensure they are trustworthy? I currently pay £6 for after school care and about £7 for a longer day at nursery, so would be happy to pay at least £14/£15 for the after-school bit assuming it would be 3.15 -5.30 or so.

Any advice welcome.

HSMMaCM Fri 12-Apr-13 11:32:03

You might find a childminder who could do it. Many childminders do before and after school care. The younger child might be more of a problem, as they fall into a different age range/ratio and may block up a full day space. It's still worth asking though.

tourdefrance Fri 12-Apr-13 13:13:16

Thanks HSMMaCM.
Sorry I realise my post was not very clear. I am looking for someone to do it at my house as then they have a day or two when its not a rush out in the mornings and in the afternoon they can play with their own toys at home. Although DS1 says he enjoys after-school club, he often wants to play when we get home. It is always after 5, often 5.30 when we get in and there is really only time to have a snack and then its bath and bed.

HSMMaCM Fri 12-Apr-13 23:41:36

Ah yes .. not a CM then.

Ktay Sat 13-Apr-13 18:46:31

Do you have an FE college nearby? A childcare student might do it? I found a great babysitter that way for something similar.

forevergreek Sat 13-Apr-13 18:53:09

Maybe a student?

Most nannies are looking at at least £10 gross, more like £12-14 gross per hr if in London or surrounding.

So even if £10 gross ( about £7.50 net), that's £30 per afternoon as most would say 3-6pm.
A student might do if you just want picking up/ some food reheated. It might be tricky getting the same person for morning and afternoon

Kiriwawa Sat 13-Apr-13 19:01:29

I found someone (school leaver) to do random after school care through findababysitter

I had lots of applicants - many in their late 40s/kids grown up/looking for extra money.

I'm fairly sure it's free to post your ad although you have to pay to read any messages. It's about a tenner though so worth it

PhyllisDoris Sat 13-Apr-13 19:02:27

Au pair?

tourdefrance Sat 13-Apr-13 19:36:49

Thanks for all those ideas. I had not heard of find a babysitter so will look at that. We do have a local college not sure if do childcare, I'll check.
Au pair is the long term plan but our current house isn't big enough.

Themobstersknife Sat 13-Apr-13 19:41:47

I think your best bet is asking about at the nursery. Two of my friends have arrangements with nursery workers to provide this care.

PhyllisDoris Sat 13-Apr-13 23:51:45

We had au pairs for years (DDs are teens now). It's a great system and a great experience for au pair and families alike.

Fridayschild Sun 14-Apr-13 06:58:54

You could try looking for a nanny whose boss works 4 days a week, and could do with extra work on the 5th day?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now