Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

outstanding childminders

(10 Posts)
redheartonpink Thu 11-Apr-13 19:28:49

What do you need to do to achieve an outstanding ofsted?

calmlychaotic Thu 11-Apr-13 22:32:30

This seems to vary, the outstanding childminders I know do tons of paperwork, they are painstakingly precise with everything. Everything is documented and carefully planned. I wasn't given am outstanding, and the reason ofsted gave was my paperwork, I could answer their questions but as it wasn't documented I had no proof she said so she couldn't give me outstanding. I have seen people on here say they do minimal paperwork and got outstanding though. So in answer to your question, no idea!
If you are fulfilling all aspects of eyfs fully you should get it I suppose.

stomp Thu 11-Apr-13 22:35:14

Look at Ofsteds 'are you ready for your inspection' & find the inspectors resources on the ofsted web site, its all in there wink.
I typed a list of things to do to be outstanding but realised it is impossible because you need a certain amount of luck and a fair wind on the day.
OS settings have something special. Visit as many settings as you can and you will soon identify outstanding settings...they may not have the logo but you will know.

nokidshere Fri 12-Apr-13 08:35:52

It should be the same for everyone but that isn't the case - basically if you are meeting the requirements with no,areas for improvement then you should get it.

Sadly I never will get one because a) I refuse to adhere to petty rules that have no substance and b)I always end up arguing with the inspector about something!!!!

Akasa Fri 12-Apr-13 23:05:46

I am sorry but you do not need to do tons of paperwork - although I am not sure how to define "tons". Yes, your record keeping and other essential paperwork should be bang up to date but you don't necessarily need a huge raft of policies and procedures - my last three inspections have been presented to Ofsted on the basis of "less is best" and that has served me well. Keep the paperwork concise, keep to the essentials - what the inspectors are looking for is there for everyone to see in the "Preparing for Inspection" info. Don't spend time writing up policies for the sake of it.

If you look at a selection of reports for Childminders in your locality, you may well see (as I do where i live), that it is key areas such as medical records, health and safety issues, administration of medicine forms, evidence of sharing information with parents i.e. daily diaries, weekly newsletters, learning journals or whatever suits your setting, that Childminders are slipping up on but these things are not an onerous task if done regularly.

The paperwork is of course a burden and one that needs to be balanced with the needs of the children but there should be no reason for the paperwork becoming a negative feature of childminding.

looselegs Sat 13-Apr-13 15:19:08

I think it all depends on the inspector that you get!
I wish they all inspected in the same way!

Brownowlahi Sat 13-Apr-13 16:32:52

Alaska, you clearly weren't inspected by the same person who inspected me. If it wasn't written down she didn't believe we had done it. She wanted to see stuff written down in plans or observations and if it wasn't there she wouldn't give me the credit for it. I also refuse to have written plans and observations for the reception child I pick up from school twice a week for 2 hours a time (I have to get home, cook and feed him in this time). She wasn't happy about this and I got marked down, even though I have regular communication with school, it wasn't enough. So, for me I believe Ofsted still want to see piles of paper in front of them when they visit. I too will never get an outstanding as I refuse to waste a rainforest to keep ofsted happy over this. Children don't need everything written down to enjoy their childhoods.

squinker45 Sat 13-Apr-13 18:59:37

This is taken from the new EYFS:

2.2 Assessment should not entail prolonged breaks from interaction with
children, nor require excessive paperwork. Paperwork should be limited to that which is absolutely necessary to promote children’s successful learning and development.

I quoted this to my EY officer and explained why I do the absolute minimum of paperwork. I guess I will be in trouble when ofsted call....

Akasa Sat 13-Apr-13 19:29:40

Brownowlahi - I do have everything written down but only those things that I believe are important - all plans and obs for example. If I have done it, I record it but that really does not take much time.

As sqinker45 has said, paperwork should be limited to that which is absolutely necessary etc. etc. I try to find some time when my mindees are sleeping to do some of my paperwork - I have three under 5's and have worked with their home routines to try and give me a break (which isn't easy) to write-up obs and other stuff such as get a few photos sorted.

Don't let your paperwork impinge on your personal time. You should not have to be doing these important things in the evenings or at weekends. Try and find the balance!

BitzerMalyoniAllSkinnyAndBony Mon 15-Apr-13 19:36:30

You might find this resource site useful - good reviews smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now